Is Andrew Miller a must sign. I believe so. He can get both righties and lefties out and has filthy

BamaOsFan

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Someone on Hardballtalk commented that the Cards should offer him 4.5 per year. I nearly fell over laughing. Don't you think we'd push hard to get him back if it's only for 4.5 per year?

Yeah, I can't see the Cards paying the type of cash it will take to get Miller. It just does not seem like the kind of contract they would typically give out.

I'll put it this way - They need to keep Cruz or someone who produces like him. They need to pay for a quality full-time RFer. They'll likely pay 10 mil for someone to play first base. If taking care of those needs doesn't push them at least to their budget, I'd be surprised. Unfortunately, they might have to be very creative just to find the money to pay for those needs.

The Cruz replacement will be at least 8 million. Davis is almost 12. The RF is going to be Nick at close to 12 a year. I'd say without selling someone, we are pretty much there. Other than the rule five guy of course. And the Matusz replacement.

Miller is a perfect fit here. Buck loves his save rule. So he can keep trotting Britton out there in the 9th win its a save situation. But I'll take Miller in the 6th-8th in the most high leverage situation. Since DD has been the GM he hasn't lost a player that he really wanted to resign. Miller is just as important as bringing Cruz back.

Miller is a perfect fit here. Buck loves his save rule. So he can keep trotting Britton out there in the 9th win its a save situation. But I'll take Miller in the 6th-8th in the most high leverage situation. Since DD has been the GM he hasn't lost a player that he really wanted to resign. Miller is just as important as bringing Cruz back.

I think he really wanted Burnett.

I think he really wanted Burnett.

Yeah but I meant resign. Burnett was never an Oriole. Players like Guthrie, Hammel, Lindstrom, Mcclouth, Feldman, Morse, Brob, Krod, Reynolds.

He's been able to spend money to lock up Jones, Hardy and O'day. When he's wanted to keep a player he's paid them, and ownership hasn't held him back.

What makes you think that Miller's usage pattern will be based on some kind of optimized leverage index? I'd assume that the vast majority of his appearances would be to start the 7th or 8th.

What makes you think that Miller's usage pattern will be based on some kind of optimized leverage index? I'd assume that the vast majority of his appearances would be to start the 7th or 8th.

More than Britton's chance to pitch in any situation not in the 9th or extras, because he is the "closer". With Buck it's better for him to have his best pitcher out the pen not be the "closer". DD tried to get him to stop relying on JJ by trading for krod and we all saw how that happened.

He had Gregg closing over Koji.

JJ over Krod.

If Buck would have had his way with the Yankees, Wetteland would have been extended and Mariano Rivera would have been a set up man. Too loyal to a closer has cost him before. Britton choked big time in the playoffs and I see having Miller as a must.

• 2 weeks later...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Duquette said <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> also met with the representative of Andrew Miller today. Knows there's lots of interest in Miller. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

">November 12, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Duquette said <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> also met with the representative of Andrew Miller today. Knows there's lots of interest in Miller. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="
">November 12, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Of course they might not have been discussing Miller.

Haha. Now what does everyone consider astounding? I'd say 10M per year is pretty astounding. I wouldn't be astounded by anything less than that.

I am right with you on this. A substantial pile of money that he and his family can live off of for generations.

I think Tigers will throw all kinds of money at him, they are desperate for a great BP arm. Just my 2 cents.

This. The Tigers biggest weakness is their BP. It cost them in the PO against us. I'd make them the favorites for his services.

I have no problem with 4 years. Put $32 mil on table and let's see where it goes. Go to $44 mil if necessary but get it done. Miller is the absolute key to our offseason:thumbsup1:

Our BP was already good before we got Miller. I'd love to have him but I won't panic if we don't sign him.

Archived