Can we stop with the,"Davis won't be on the roster next year" stuff?

higgybaby

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How about you add in 2012-2013? Since he really didn't have that many reps at first last season, what with his suspension and time at third.

He wasn't very good at 1B in 2012, and he admitted that. He put in a lot of work for the 2013 season and was much better.

In 2013 there were 12 qualifiers at 1B. Davis was:

#10 in DWAR

#2 in Range Factor

#3 in Fielding Percentage

Someone should ask the other infielders whom they would prefer to have over there.

He wasn't very good at 1B in 2012, and he admitted that. He put in a lot of work for the 2013 season and was much better.

In 2013 there were 12 qualifiers at 1B. Davis was:

#10 in DWAR

#2 in Range Factor

#3 in Fielding Percentage

Someone should ask the other infielders whom they would prefer to have over there.

Except you can't expect them to tell the truth to anyone outside their circle. (and I don't blame them)

Contract year for a player who is coming off a horrible season and a PED suspension? Yes please.

He will be back and hopefully the player we saw in 2012/2013 not 2014. He will be trying to earn that long term deal...whether its from the Orioles or another team.

That's true, and I agree. There's a pretty good chance that they share that info with Buck, but he'll never tell.

Every infielder wants a first baseman that can catch the non-perfect throw. Every infielder. No contest.

Some years ago, I played on a team that had a first baseman who stood 6' 6". Big man. Nice guy. Good hitter. The guy would make himself three feet tall on every play, though, by going into a long, low stretch BEFORE the infielder threw the ball. Drove us crazy. He couldn't move left, right. or up to catch the ball. I played third, and the shortstop and I still play together on teams and we still talk about it. By the way, I neither recall - nor care - what kind of range that first baseman had on ground balls. It simply doesn't matter. He was, by far, the worst fielding first baseman I ever played with because he gave us an extremely small target to throw to on every play.

Range for a first baseman is great, and the elite ones have good range, but the first baseman must first and foremost be a good first baseman, meaning he can field the throws from the infielders. And no infielder makes a perfect chest-high center-cut throw every time. How he fields ground balls is secondary.

This is my opinion, but I really don't know of any players that don't share it.

Every infielder wants a first baseman that can catch the non-perfect throw. Every infielder. No contest.

Some years ago, I played on a team that had a first baseman who stood 6' 6". Big man. Nice guy. Good hitter. The guy would make himself three feet tall on every play, though, by going into a long, low stretch BEFORE the infielder threw the ball. Drove us crazy. He couldn't move left, right. or up to catch the ball. I played third, and the shortstop and I still play together on teams and we still talk about it. By the way, I neither recall - nor care - what kind of range that first baseman had on ground balls. It simply doesn't matter. He was, by far, the worst fielding first baseman I ever played with because he gave us an extremely small target to throw to on every play.

Range for a first baseman is great, and the elite ones have good range, but the first baseman must first and foremost be a good first baseman, meaning he can field the throws from the infielders. And no infielder makes a perfect chest-high center-cut throw every time. How he fields ground balls is secondary.

This is my opinion, but I really don't know of any players that don't share it.

In order to not share this opinion you have to have never played the game, like Howard Cosell.

Contract year for a player who is coming off a horrible season and a PED suspension? Yes please.

He will be back and hopefully the player we saw in 2012/2013 not 2014. He will be trying to earn that long term deal...whether its from the Orioles or another team.

Exactly. In fact, one could make an argument to go ahead, roll the dice and put out an extension to him right now (if he returns anywhere close to form, that will be a big time win for the Os).

None of this is true, especially the last sentence.

That last sentence may or may not be true - I heard it reported on tv. Regardless, your post was disrespectful at best. It's perfectly fine and easy to disagree and say why without being a jerk. I don't think I've ever had a problem with you, but that's going to change real quick if you ever come up with a post like that again.

That last sentence may or may not be true - I heard it reported on tv. Regardless, your post was disrespectful at best. It's perfectly fine and easy to disagree and say why without being a jerk. I don't think I've ever had a problem with you, but that's going to change real quick if you ever come up with a post like that again.

I think reading too much into tone from a message board post can lead to hurt feelings. I don't think I was being a jerk, I was in a hurry at that time and was trying to get my point across quickly on my phone. I should have said that your post lacked evidentiary support but I guess that was a little wordy. I wasn't trying to be rude but there is simply no evidence that there was a players vote and if you heard them say it on the teevee, that doesn't make it true. Buck said during the ALDS that they MAY have a vote if the ALDS goes 4 or 5 games but if the O's swept, Davis would not be on the roster.

Your belief that the chances of Davis being on the roster are significantly less than 50 percent and that there is a credibility issue likewise needs to be supported by evidence for me to consider it to be valid. I respect yor opinion that bridges need to be built to heal the relationships between Chris and his teammates but I haven't heard a single person close to the situation speculate that there is a good chance that Davis won't be back, and unless you are close to the situation, your opinion doesn't move the needle.

I think reading too much into tone from a message board post can lead to hurt feelings. I don't think I was being a jerk, I was in a hurry at that time and was trying to get my point across quickly on my phone. I should have said that your post lacked evidentiary support but I guess that was a little wordy. I wasn't trying to be rude but there is simply no evidence that there was a players vote and if you heard them say it on the teevee, that doesn't make it true. Buck said during the ALDS that they MAY have a vote if the ALDS goes 4 or 5 games but if the O's swept, Davis would not be on the roster.

Your belief that the chances of Davis being on the roster are significantly less than 50 percent and that there is a credibility issue likewise needs to be supported by evidence for me to consider it to be valid. I respect yor opinion that bridges need to be built to heal the relationships between Chris and his teammates but I haven't heard a single person close to the situation speculate that there is a good chance that Davis won't be back, and unless you are close to the situation, your opinion doesn't move the needle.

I gave my OPINION based on the reasons I gave. I never implied my opinion was fact. Obviously I don't know what's going to happen, and obviously what I say won't change the situation.

The Orioles have a tough decision regarding Chris Davis, writes Rich Dubroff of CSN Baltimore. Davis may cost upwards of $12MM in his final year of arbitration according to Dubroff, but the Orioles may not want to pay so much for his no-average, all power profile. They do have an internal alternative in Steve Pearce, but he could be needed in the outfield with Nick Markakis and Nelson Cruz potentially departing via free agency. There is seemingly no pathway to return value for Davis short of tendering him and hoping for the best.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/10/al-notes-indians-hunter-davis.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

The Orioles have a tough decision regarding Chris Davis, writes Rich Dubroff of CSN Baltimore. Davis may cost upwards of $12MM in his final year of arbitration according to Dubroff, but the Orioles may not want to pay so much for his no-average, all power profile. They do have an internal alternative in Steve Pearce, but he could be needed in the outfield with Nick Markakis and Nelson Cruz potentially departing via free agency. There is seemingly no pathway to return value for Davis short of tendering him and hoping for the best.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/10/al-notes-indians-hunter-davis.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

I wonder what we could realistically get if we tried to trade Davis before the arbitration deadline. I think we'd get more than what we got for Johnson, but could we actually get someone whos a major league starting player? I'm doubtful.

Chris Davis was above the league average in batting average every year from 2011-13 and now his profile is "no-average"? I know the shift has hurt him but I don't buy that.

Archived