Can we stop with the,"Davis won't be on the roster next year" stuff?

higgybaby

Chris Davis was above the league average in batting average every year from 2011-13 and now his profile is "no-average"? I know the shift has hurt him but I don't buy that.

Until he proves he can beat the shift, I don't see any reason to give him the benefit of the doubt. And lets not talk like all of 2013 he hit for high average... he batted .245 2nd half of 2013, which coincided with when he started seeing a crazy amount of shifts.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Until he proves he can beat the shift, I don't see any reason to give him the benefit of the doubt. And lets not talk like all of 2013 he hit for high average... he batted .245 2nd half of 2013, which coincided with when he started seeing a crazy amount of shifts.

.245 isn't no-average though. It is only a couple points below league average. I'm not saying he is likely to be a high average guy, but I think the claim that he has turned into Mark Reynolds overnight merits some pushback.

Pretty much laugh out loud funny that people attribute Chris Davis's poor year to "the shift".

Even if you want to ignore the pure stats that show he hit far worse with the shift than against ( http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/chris-davis-swallowed-by-the-shift/ ), the pure fact that he had to face the shift 5/6 at bats had to get in his head and make him try to overcompensate. The guy was visually frustrated when he hit balls that would have been doubles a couple years ago and they ended up with him being out at 1st.

LD% is based on number of balls put in play. Davis struck out in 32.9% of plate appearances this year as opposed to 29.5% last year. Here's a link to a 2013 spray chart for Davis.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/fangraphs-spray-charts/

I'm guessing a 2014 version looks a bit different. Heck, it looks like he hit 21 homers to the left of CF in 2014. The shift contributed to his problems but mostly because he didn't hit as well as he did in 2013.

Here's a chart on his hit type comparing 2013 to 2014. Pretty clear he hit the ball the other way more often in 2013.

http://www.fangraphs.com/spraycharts.aspx?playerid=9272&position=1B&type=battedball&pid2=9272&ss1=2014&se1=2014&ss2=2013&se2=2013&cht1=hittype&cht2=hittype&vs1=ALL&vs2=ALL

Well, yeah, I could have told you he hit more more flyballs to the opposite field last year, more flyballs and more HR's per FB (which he hit last year at an astronomical and fairly unprecedented rate). But he didn't this year. He hit more balls into the shift. Many of them were hit very hard hit. There may be a lot of factors behind that, including his approach and the way he was pitched. And yes, i get he had stress/vision issues affecting him.

A 3% increase in Ks or not, his babip dropped 93 points.That's a staggering difference. That LD% and GB% are based on balls he hit. Line drives are very often hits and GB are often hits. They were less often for him because he hit them very predictably into the shift.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/the-gms-office/post?id=10391&ex_cid=espnapi_public

The Orioles are prepared to listen to offers on Chris Davis after Steve Pearce's breakout year and in light of the fact that Davis is a free agent at season's end. Plus, if someone wants to take a chance on Matt Wieters coming back from Tommy John surgery, the O's will listen to them as well. The Tigers are going to make a strong run on improving their bullpen, which will include the pursuit of free-agent left-hander Andrew Miller, who will be one of the most sought-after free agents on the market.

It'll be an interesting few weeks before arbitration is decided to see what happens with Davis.

It would be beyond foolish to trade Matt. You are not going to get enough for him to replace him and Caleb is not a starting catcher at the major league level.

You would get nothing for Matt. Nothing. You would get nothing trading Davis. You would get nothing trading Matusz. Unless you are talking Jamile Weeks kinds of trades.

You would get nothing for Matt. Nothing. You would get nothing trading Davis. You would get nothing trading Matusz. Unless you are talking Jamile Weeks kinds of trades.

I think Davis, with an exemption in hand, brings back something. Without an exemption, more then nothing but less then something.

Archived