Alvarez and Positional Need

Here was a tantalizing thought on next year's draft in a BP chat recently:

tycobb (ga): if you could compare pedro alvarez to any current major leaguer,who would it be

David Laurila: Alex Gordon seems like the logical answer, and it makes sense to speculate whether the two might be teammates in a few years. While scouting directors primarily draft talent over need (the smart ones anyway), it’s interesting that the teams at the top of this year’s draft all have promising young third basemen: Evan Longoria, Neil Walker, and Gordon. Depending on your opinion of Billy Rowell, the team drafting 4th may have one themselves.

I think I just found 3 players I'll be pulling for to do well in the first half of 2008.

I will be cheering with you! I don't think there is much of a chance of it happening, but could you imagine Alvarez and Weiters ( 1 to 2 years away because of being college players) coming up through our system together with Rowell following behind. I like that added to our pitching, Markakis and hopefully A. Jones. NICE!!!!

Just curious, is there a college 2B/SS in the draft who is considered to be a real stud?

I think the only MI prospect in this draft who's worthy of a top 5 pick is high school shortstop Tim Beckham, but college guys...

If we want to target them with later picks...

Texas A&M 2B Blake Stouffer had a phenominal year last year and he's an athletic switch hitter. He's a little on the old side though (Oct 1985).

Aaron Luna from Rice is pretty well thought of, but I don't know if he'll stick at 2B. There's talk of him moving to the OF even this year in college.

I don't know where these guys will go, but they're some of the better MI in college:

Baylor SS Beamer Weems (switch hitter)

UCLA SS Brandon Crawford. Crawford has tons of talent, but has been inconsistent and strikes out a ton (bats left handed).

Vanderbilt SS Ryan Flaherty (bats left handed).

Miami 2B Jemile Weeks (a favorite of mine; switch hitter)

Virginia SS Greg Miclat. Look at the plate discipline and steals (switch hitter).

I think the only MI prospect in this draft who's worthy of a top 5 pick is high school shortstop Tim Beckham, but college guys...

If we want to target them with later picks...

Texas A&M 2B Blake Stouffer had a phenominal year last year and he's an athletic switch hitter. He's a little on the old side though (Oct 1985).

Aaron Luna from Rice is pretty well thought of, but I don't know if he'll stick at 2B. There's talk of him moving to the OF even this year in college.

I don't know where these guys will go, but they're some of the better MI in college:

Baylor SS Beamer Weems (switch hitter)

UCLA SS Brandon Crawford. Crawford has tons of talent, but has been inconsistent and strikes out a ton (bats left handed).

Vanderbilt SS Ryan Flaherty (bats left handed).

Miami 2B Jemile Weeks (a favorite of mine; switch hitter)

Virginia SS Greg Miclat. Look at the plate discipline and steals (switch hitter).

Good info, thanks. If there isn't a legit college 2B/SS worthy of a top 5 pick, I just go back to best player available (which is probably what we should do in any event with a pick that high).

I lost this thread for a second. I didn't know the draft was were getting its own section, but I love it.

I really like what I have read about Jemile Weeks. He seems like the exact kind of prospect that we need coming up through the system. A lead off hitter with some pop and is a good fielder. I am not sure where he projects yet, but would love him to be around in the 2nd (although I don't THINK he will be).

http://www.brewerfan.net/ViewAmateurPlayerProfile.do?playerId=778&draftId=6

I can't imagine a team drafting a second baseman with a top 5 pick.

I agree with this, as all of the "once in a generation" type middle infielders seem to be shortstops.

Alvarez or Smoak would be great picks here. I'm not sold on Rowell sticking at 3rd, so I'd have to go with Alvarez if he's available.

I can't imagine a team drafting a second baseman with a top 5 pick.

No one was recommending taking Jemile Weeks (2nd baseman) with our 4th pick. We started by saying there weren't any college middle infielders worthy of a top 5 pick, but here are some of the top college MIers anyway, that we could try to get with later draft picks. That's when Weeks' name was mentioned, and as a possible 2nd round draft pick.

I agree with this, as all of the "once in a generation" type middle infielders seem to be shortstops.

Alvarez or Smoak would be great picks here. I'm not sold on Rowell sticking at 3rd, so I'd have to go with Alvarez if he's available.

I know you don't necessarily worry about this, but baseball people are split on whether Alvarez will stick at 3rd, too.

It wouldn't be the end of the world if we took Smoak, esp. if he ended up being an impact bat. I do like that he's a switch hitter. But to spend a 4th pick on a 1Bman, he HAS to be an incredible bat. I don't know if I trust him to live up to that.

The problem is I'm not sure who else to rank 4th. I definitely put Beckham, Alvarez and Matusz ahead of Smoak. I like Tim Melville, but do we want to draft a high school pitcher with the 4th pick? I like Harold Martinez also. He's receiving A-Rod comparisons, so that's a good start. I don't know if I rank him above Smoak, though.

The upcoming season should help sort some things out.

I know you don't necessarily worry about this, but baseball people are split on whether Alvarez will stick at 3rd, too.

It wouldn't be the end of the world if we took Smoak, esp. if he ended up being an impact bat. I do like that he's a switch hitter. But to spend a 4th pick on a 1Bman, he HAS to be an incredible bat. I don't know if I trust him to live up to that.

The problem is I'm not sure who else to rank 4th. I definitely put Beckham, Alvarez and Matusz ahead of Smoak. I like Tim Melville, but do we want to draft a high school pitcher with the 4th pick? I like Harold Martinez also. He's receiving A-Rod comparisons, so that's a good start. I don't know if I rank him above Smoak, though.

The upcoming season should help sort some things out.

Yeah, alot of talk about Alvarez going to LF or 1st. So the 3rd base theory isn't real strong. Harold Martinez is also Gold glove caliber at 3rd. No way a hs pitcher at #4 this year. Too many college guys as goood and Hosmer and Beckham would be considered before him also.

Yeah, alot of talk about Alvarez going to LF or 1st. So the 3rd base theory isn't real strong. Harold Martinez is also Gold glove caliber at 3rd. No way a hs pitcher at #4 this year. Too many college guys as goood and Hosmer and Beckham would be considered before him also.

It's not that Melville doesn't have the talent to go top 5, it's just riskier. I've heard some comparisons between Melville and Rick Porcello. They both have a deep assortment of pitches, mid 90's fastball, good control and projectable builds. Melville could be looked at the same as Porcello if he has a strong spring, and if it weren't for high contract demands Porcello would have gone very early in last years draft.

Just curious, is there a college 2B/SS in the draft who is considered to be a real stud?

I would also include the other Beckham, Gordon Beckham from Georgia.

He led the Cape Cod League in homers last year with nine, and has the defense for short, but would be very good at second as well.

Also I came across a great page that has scouting reports on the top prospects from the Cape Cod League last year. http://www.capecodbaseball.org/News/news2007/PGCrosschecker_CCBL_20Sep07.pdf

• 3 years later...
I would also include the other Beckham, Gordon Beckham from Georgia.

He led the Cape Cod League in homers last year with nine, and has the defense for short, but would be very good at second as well.

Also I came across a great page that has scouting reports on the top prospects from the Cape Cod League last year. http://www.capecodbaseball.org/News/news2007/PGCrosschecker_CCBL_20Sep07.pdf

Hey are you the Jay Gibbons that the Os gave $12M? The same guy that could drive up to Hardees, order a burger, and be injured on the DL by the time it takes to drive around to pickup the order???? LOL Just kidding. Hey that scouting report is incredible. The names on that report is a who's who in the AA and AAA systems around the league. Wynn Pelzer and Aaron Baker have intersting narratives to say the least. Thanks for posting.

Archived