Buck: "We're going to grind the heck out of the Rule 5 draft."

stef

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think he could be a Chris Davis replacement. And Manny insurance.

I don't think he can field at a MLB level.

I think his arm is inaccurate.

I didn't see any footspeed.

I don't think he can hit for average and I am unsure if his power will play at this level of competition.

Only reason he has hung around as long as he has is the fact he was a bonus baby.

I don't think he can field at a MLB level.

I think his arm is inaccurate.

I didn't see any footspeed.

I don't think he can hit for average and I am unsure if his power will play at this level of competition.

Only reason he has hung around as long as he has is the fact he was a bonus baby.

<iframe src='http://www.milb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=35314165&width=400&height=224&property=milb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

I still like him.

Sorry Dan, disagree with you on Almanzar.

He wasn't ready for primetime, even if he had stayed healthy.

Regardless, Guthrie, Flaherty, and MacFarland have proven the O's know how to find great value in the Rule 5.

Regardless, Guthrie, Flaherty, and MacFarland have proven the O's know how to find great value in the Rule 5.

Guthrie?

Guthrie was a waiver claim.

And I wouldn't call Flash and TJ "great values". They are pretty much the equivalent of the scrap heap guys that are available every spring.

Guthrie?

Guthrie was a waiver claim.

And I wouldn't call Flash and TJ "great values". They are pretty much the equivalent of the scrap heap guys that are available every spring.

I disagree.

Flash has a very rare ability to play plus defense in three or more positions, a very rare feat, that's not scrap heap.

Thats a very viable bench player.

I disagree.

Flash has a very rare ability to play plus defense in three or more positions, a very rare feat, that's not scrap heap.

He's very good at 2nd and 3rd. The times he's played SS, there seemed to be a significant drop-off defensively.

Overall, I think their results in Rule 5 have been ok - nothing special - so I have low expectations.

He's very good at 2nd and 3rd. The times he's played SS, there seemed to be a significant drop-off defensively.

Overall, I think their results in Rule 5 have been ok - nothing special - so I have low expectations.

In fairness, putting almost anyone in at short in replace of Hardy would represent a significant drop-off defensively. Flaherty is fine as a reserve shortstop, IMO. One of the better UTIL INF in the majors, IMO.

I disagree.

Very rare? Since Flaherty came into the league there have been 24 players who've played at least 20 games at each of 2B, SS, and 3B. Among those 24 Flaherty is 8th in OPS, 7th in fielding runs, 12th in games, and 9th in total rWAR.

The median OPS among these guys is .641, Flaherty is at .652.

If you lower the threshold to >10 games at each of 2B/SS/3B you come up with 45 players.

He's a pretty good utility player, no more, no less. And utility guys are not rare by any measure. Everyone has one. Or three, with two of them stashed in AAA.

Buck says Flash is a plus defender at SS on more one occasion and that is good enough for me.

He probably needs more reps at SS, and hopefully, he won't get it, and JJ stays healthy.

People were ragging on Flash before the post season about his play at third, but dang, in the post season, he look like Brook Jr over there.

Very rare? Since Flaherty came into the league there have been 24 players who've played at least 20 games at each of 2B, SS, and 3B. Among those 24 Flaherty is 8th in OPS, 7th in fielding runs, 12th in games, and 9th in total rWAR.

The median OPS among these guys is .641, Flaherty is at .652.

If you lower the threshold to >10 games at each of 2B/SS/3B you come up with 45 players.

He's a pretty good utility player, no more, no less. And utility guys are not rare by any measure. Everyone has one. Or three, with two of them stashed in AAA.

Buck himself said, more than once, that the Orioles are blessed to have Ryan on the bench. Buck said there are a ton of guys in baseball that can play plus defense at more than one position, but he said, very rare for a guy to play plus defense at more than two positions.

Buck himself said, more than once, that the Orioles are blessed to have Ryan on the bench. Buck said there are a ton of guys in baseball that can play plus defense at more than one position, but he said, very rare for a guy to play plus defense at more than two positions.

Buck's primary job is to form a cohesive team. He's never going to say "Flaherty is a good guy, I like him, but if he got switched out tomorrow with Jayson Nix we'd never know the difference." Even if it's true.

What isn't very rare is for a manager to reach to say good things about his players. He's a good utility player - nothing more than that. As Drungo pointed out, there's nothing rare about good utility players.

As for his defense in the playoffs, he did a great job going to his right, but I thought there were balls hit to his left that he didn't try for that Manny and Brooks would have gotten. That obviously doesn't mean he's bad - just not great.

Archived