Buck: "We're going to grind the heck out of the Rule 5 draft."

stef

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In 238 IN Flaherty has an actual UZR of -1.3. I'd say that is very unreliable as an indicator of his ability. But to cite from those 238 IN an UZR/150 of -8.3 as indicative of anything remotely resembling his ability is more than meaningless, it's specious.

His time at SS and 3B are totally irrelevant to the discussion because the sample size is tiny. Of course, if you play 5 out of 162 games at SS, you may not be the best defensive SS of all time. Likewise, playing 10 regular season games at 3B doesn't exactly prepare you to be Manny Machado defensively. But, because of the experience gained at the end of the year, you could really see Ryan coming on defensively in the playoffs. I have little doubt, if Hardy went down, you would see the same thing at SS.

Further, I would argue that those people citing defensive metrics over 5-10 games are the lazy ones. They aren't proving anything other than their lack of baseball knowledge.

His time at SS and 3B are totally irrelevant to the discussion because the sample size is tiny. Of course, if you play 5 out of 162 games at SS, you may not be the best defensive SS of all time. Likewise, playing 10 regular season games at 3B doesn't exactly prepare you to be Manny Machado defensively. But, because of the experience gained at the end of the year, you could really see Ryan coming on defensively in the playoffs. I have little doubt, if Hardy went down, you would see the same thing at SS.

Further, I would argue that those people citing defensive metrics over 5-10 games are the lazy ones. They aren't proving anything other than their lack of baseball knowledge.

So... it's fine to just assume Flaherty is awesome no matter where he plays, largely on the faith of Buck. But it's lazy to even bring up bits of evidence that might tend to temper that enthusiasm? No one is saying Flaherty's UZR in parts of a season prove anything, we're just saying that they certainly don't prove he's super awesome.

If anyone thought Flaherty was an excellent defender at shortstop he'd be starting somewhere, and he wouldn't have been a AA utility player at 24, spending 100+ games not playing shortstop.

So... it's fine to just assume Flaherty is awesome no matter where he plays, largely on the faith of Buck. But it's lazy to even bring up bits of evidence that might tend to temper that enthusiasm? No one is saying Flaherty's UZR in parts of a season prove anything, we're just saying that they certainly don't prove he's super awesome.

If anyone thought Flaherty was an excellent defender at shortstop he'd be starting somewhere, and he wouldn't have been a AA utility player at 24, spending 100+ games not playing shortstop.

You inject the word awesome into the discussion. Did I say awesome? No, I said above average. Lot of distance between them, but don't let that stop you from winning an argument.

Who is saying he's super awesome. Some believe he looked better at 3B towards the end of the season. And IMO he looks solid at SS. There is nothing to be gleaned from metrics that indicates to the contrary. There just isn't an adequate sample size to infer anything.

What I'd like to know aside from all this Flaherty talk is who might be a potential candidate for us in the Rule 5 draft?

We won't know for sure until November 20, the deadline for teams to decide which eligible players in their system they are going to add their 40-man roster.

Last year, only nine teams chose a player during the ML phase.

I think the Orioles are now above going after rule 5 players.

I could see the O's drafting a speedy righthanded hitting outfield to compete with Lough for the 4th OFer role in ST. I could also see the O's drafting a lefthanded reliever to compete with Matusz.

I could see the O's drafting a speedy righthanded hitting outfield to compete with Lough for the 4th OFer role in ST. I could also see the O's drafting a lefthanded reliever to compete with Matusz.

They are not going to tender Matusz a contract then cut him in favor of a rule V guy.

Who would trade for a decent, 50-inning, $3-4M LOOGY?

I think there is a market for him. The O's will hold his contract this year closer to 3M. They have a case in arbitration if they want to go to the hearing. At 3M that is not out of line for a 50 inning reliever.

Archived