Our hitting approach

Russsnyder

No doubt we had a great season but it is really refreshing to hear Verducci tonight talk about the Giants two strike swinging level hitting approach. It was interesting to hear Buck talk about the Giants post season hitting approach regarding making contact. I am sure many O's fans heard these comments and had to ask themselves "what is our two strike hitting approach?" "What is our post season hitting approach"? The Giants post-season success adds validity to their approach.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking last night watching that game that the Orioles do need a more contact-hitting type of approach in the playoffs but can they win enough games in the regular season that way? These two clubs play in the big parks where they really can't go for power. The Orioles play in a much smaller park where a lack of power hitting may not play as well.

We struck out 1285 times this season, compared to the Giants' 1245. Not a huge difference at all. We scored more runs, had a higher OPS, and had the same OBP. People draw too many conclusions from which team happens to have a few good days in October.

We struck out 1285 times this season, compared to the Giants' 1245. Not a huge difference at all. We scored more runs, had a higher OPS, and had the same OBP. People draw too many conclusions from which team happens to have a few good days in October.

It shocks me that it influences opinions so greatly. I am just sad that they did not have a consolation round where we could play ourselves back in.

I was thinking last night watching that game that the Orioles do need a more contact-hitting type of approach in the playoffs but can they win enough games in the regular season that way? These two clubs play in the big parks where they really can't go for power. The Orioles play in a much smaller park where a lack of power hitting may not play as well.

We had a bad week. That's it. A great team. A bad week.

No doubt we had a great season but it is really refreshing to hear Verducci tonight talk about the Giants two strike swinging level hitting approach. It was interesting to hear Buck talk about the Giants post season hitting approach regarding making contact. I am sure many O's fans heard these comments and had to ask themselves "what is our two strike hitting approach?" "What is our post season hitting approach"? The Giants post-season success adds validity to their approach.

Verducci actually loves our hitting approach. He hates teams taking pitches and working counts. He thinks it isn't effective and is killing the game.

Four consecutive batters swung at the fist pitch until the fifth one took a pitch three feet out of the zone.

Verducci actually loves our hitting approach. He hates teams taking pitches and working counts. He thinks it isn't effective and is killing the game.

He is not the only one. Take and Rake worked better when they could still grow their heads in their 20s and 30s.

Archived