Oscar Taveras killed in car wreck

Greg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/11/12/7211941/oscar-taveras-crash-blood-alcohol-limit

Toxicology reports showed the 22-year-old Taveras' blood-alcohol content level was five times the legal limit, Tessie Sanchez confirmed to AP. The St. Louis Cardinals outfielder and his 18-year-old girlfriend, Edilia Arvelo, were killed on Oct. 26 when Taveras lost control of his car while driving in wet conditions on a highway near his hometown of Sosua.

And folks worry about steroids.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/11/12/7211941/oscar-taveras-crash-blood-alcohol-limit
Toxicology reports showed the 22-year-old Taveras' blood-alcohol content level was five times the legal limit' date=' Tessie Sanchez confirmed to AP. The St. Louis Cardinals outfielder and his 18-year-old girlfriend, Edilia Arvelo, were killed on Oct. 26 when Taveras lost control of his car while driving in wet conditions on a highway near his hometown of Sosua.[/quote']

And folks worry about steroids.

I don't drink, but from what I have heard, most people can barely stay awake once they are more than 3 times the legal limit.

If this report/test is indeed accurate, I can't imagine how Taveras was able to even get inside of his car, let alone turn the keys of the ignition on and drive it around.

Five times??? Even at puritanical US standards that's .40! That's like alcohol poisoning levels.
I don't drink, but from what I have heard, most people can barely stay awake once they are more than 3 times the legal limit.

If this report/test is indeed accurate, I can't imagine how Taveras was able to even get inside of his car, let alone turn the keys of the ignition on and drive it around.

According to Twitter the legal limit there is .05 which changes the math substantially.

Five times??? Even at puritanical US standards that's .40! That's like alcohol poisoning levels.

He wasn't in the US so I don't think it means he was at .40. I can't find a reference for DUI laws in the DR but Wikipedia suggests that the limit is .05. So 5 times that is .25, hammered but not catatonic.

So, sadly, this is just another story about a young man who got drunk with his girlfriend and foolishly got them both killed by driving. This man just happens to be a professional athlete.

Just a couple months ago some friends of mine and I had to talk an acquaintance down from driving drunk. He insisted he was all right, five times at least. "No seriously I'm just joking, I'm ok, just give me the keys." After I drove him home in his own car, he stepped inside and realized he was far from ok.

He wasn't in the US so I don't think it means he was at .40. I can't find a reference for DUI laws in the DR but Wikipedia suggests that the limit is .05. So 5 times that is .25, hammered but not catatonic.

Anyone above a .20 is an almost certain danger to themselves and others when they are driving.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Anyone above a .20 is an almost certain danger to themselves and others when they are driving.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Absolutely. Completely irresponsible. Although I have heard tales from police officers of lifelong drunks that blew numbers in the .30 range that the cops didn't really expect to come back much over. 08 if at all. But it takes a long time to build yourself up (or down more accurately) to that level.

Too bad the girl was with him.

Yes, it's a shame she got in the car with him. I hope she wasn't pressured to ride with him, but I don't know if that makes it any better.

It's hard to feel much sympathy for Taveras. BAC of .25 and driving. At least he didn't kill people in another car too.

According to Twitter the legal limit there is .05 which changes the math substantially.

Yes. it does.

I originally thought that Taveras was at .40.

He was at .25 though, due to the difference in the legal limit between the two different countries.

I originally thought that Taveras was at the acute alcohol poisoning level/barely able to even be conscious.

Now, I know that he was just extremely drunk ....... which would explain his ability to actually get into a car, turn the ignition on, and drive the vehicle around at all in the first place.

So, sadly, this is just another story about a young man who got drunk with his girlfriend and foolishly got them both killed by driving. This man just happens to be a professional athlete.

Just a couple months ago some friends of mine and I had to talk an acquaintance down from driving drunk. He insisted he was all right, five times at least. "No seriously I'm just joking, I'm ok, just give me the keys." After I drove him home in his own car, he stepped inside and realized he was far from ok.

A long time ago I had to take the keys away from a drunk girlfriend. She insisted she was fine and that she knew all the "occifers" in the county. Took me 15 minutes to get her belted into the car.

I had to stop on the way home so she could get out and vomit.

But she was OK to drive.

I read he blew a .287. They said he had to consume around 16 drinks within two hours to be that smashed. According to the alcohol course I had to take before coming to college. The blackout level is .10 but I don't know how accurate that is.

I read he blew a .287. They said he had to consume around 16 drinks within two hours to be that smashed. According to the alcohol course I had to take before coming to college. The blackout level is .10 but I don't know how accurate that is.

Not very accurate. Also, I doubt he blew anything. They would have had to use a blood test.

Archived