Why is length of games so important?

hutchead

For me its not length of the game that is of concern.

Its wasted time, as Frobby points out. Change the rules to minimize wasted time. Keep things moving during the game.

Pitching changes is a big one. Find a way to speed up the 'call to the bullpen'. Especially when they use like 9 pitches in 2 innings.

Buck pointed out (interview around Sept 1) how many more pitcher changes occur when rosters expand, I think that is something to look at, keeping a 25 man roster throughout the season.

I always thought that it should be a rule that a pitcher has to face at least 3 batters. The constant switching of pitchers mid inning is boring when you are at home. And boring at the game once they shut down the beer.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I go to games to experience the game, not the feeling of sitting in the park for as long as possible. If you equate getting your money's worth with the number of hours you spend there, take a walking tour and show up as early as possible for BP. Don't insist everyone else sit through torturous Papelbonings.

I go to games to experience the game, not the feeling of sitting in the park for as long as possible. If you equate getting your money's worth with the number of hours you spend there, take a walking tour and show up as early as possible for BP. Don't insist everyone else sit through torturous Papelbonings.

I can certainly understand anyone feeling this way - especially locals who go to lots of games. But my situation is different. As I mentioned earlier, I live five hours away and don't get to go to many games. So when I do drive that far, and pay the exorbitant prices involved, I want to get as much as possible out of the experience so that I truly get my money's worth. It's not just a game to me...it's an experience. Yes, I show up early for batting practice, take my camera and get pictures of the statues, check out the memorabilia shops, eat a meal, enjoy the game, hang out afterwards with my children trying to get player autographs as they leave the stadium, etc. I'm not insisting anyone else do anything against their will. I'm only stating I have no problems with a game lasting a half hour longer than they used to last.

Whoa.

In the article, it states that Papelbon WAS charged with a ball for taking too long in between pitches:

"Papelbon also had a ball called on him Tuesday night for taking too long between pitches."

Well, that's the second time in all of my time of watching baseball (1971-present) that I have heard about that happening. Obviously, just because I may not have heard about it doesn't necessarily mean that it hasn't happened. ;)

I recall this happening to Eric Bedard while he was pitching for the Orioles.

It's the only time I have ever seen the rule enforced in a game. ( Pretty sure that it was the 12 second rule.)

To be fair, this is a ridiculous comparison. Soccer has a TON of "actual play time" but can often be boring because of what is actually happening. I would argue that most people find a play in football to be far more exciting than a pitch in baseball.

An incomplete pass, a 2 yard rush....there's plenty of boring plays in football.

TV camera work makes most games boring. If I'm watching football I want to watch the line play because that will tell me a lot about who is actually dominating. If I'm watching baseball I want to watch off ball to see positioning, etc. I can only do these things watching in the park. On TV I have to follow the ball and watch commercials.

A lot of it is about getting non-fans back to baseball--try to make it important again. This afternoon, on the day of the 7th game of the World Series, neither USA Today nor CNN consider the game to be their most important sports story. Biggest day in baseball and its under the midseason NFL reports.

A lot of it is about getting non-fans back to baseball--try to make it important again. This afternoon, on the day of the 7th game of the World Series, neither USA Today nor CNN consider the game to be their most important sports story. Biggest day in baseball and its under the midseason NFL reports.
I feel sorry for anyone who thinks USA Today or CNN have any clue as to what constitutes news, sports or otherwise.

I just went to ESPNs homepage. The cover photo/headline is about the four college football teams for the playoffs. Yahoo! sports has Julius Randle's injury as it's lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope they don't ever replace the intentional walk with a signal from the manager that he is calling for the intentional walk, with the hitter simply going to first base. There are several reasons to keep that just the way it is:

1) Intentionally throwing four wide pitches can take a pitcher out of his rhythm, affecting his control, which benefits subsequent hitters .

2) One of the pitches may be close enough for the hitter to poke a hit the other way.

3) A wild pitch could occur.

I hope they don't ever replace the intentional walk with a signal from the manager that he is calling for the intentional walk, with the hitter simply going to first base. There are several reasons to keep that just the way it is:

1) Intentionally throwing four wide pitches can take a pitcher out of his rhythm, affecting his control, which benefits subsequent hitters .

2) One of the pitches may be close enough for the hitter to poke a hit the other way.

[video=youtube;xw0w9rhNtCk]

You have to weigh the positives and the negatives. Your scenarios, which might occur once every five or ten years, would be fun. But every single intentional walk involves a batter not batting and a pitcher performing an act that a high schooler could execute 99 times out of 100.

Archived