Adam LaRoche - Any Interest? (Update: ChiSox 2 - $25M)

backwardsk

competitive selection draft.

Gotcha. Just looked it up. So there really is no correlation between the pick sacrificed and the pick we get........we will always get a bonus pick after the first round is over. Although I suppose it's worth noting that the more teams that have picks between 11-30 overall that sign a QO guy....the better those comp picks become......slightly.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was thinking of putting Robertson on there but I think he can get a 4/40 contract. With the fragility of pitchers and the shelf life of relievers, I think he takes the security and lower AAV of a longer term deal over 1/15.3M.

Ervin Santana was coming off a better year in 2013 and had to settle for a one year contract. He might be willing to take the QO based on that.

You could be right on both accounts. It only takes one team to give a bad contract. If I was Robertson I'd take the gamble that I could get >$25M in 2016-2018. With the draft pick attached, his market may be less.

I didn't put Santana on because he was still able to get $14+ last season, so he didn't get screwed too bad. I think he makes another attempt at FA.

If Liriano doesn't take it, he'll regret it, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotcha. Just looked it up. So there really is no correlation between the pick sacrificed and the pick we get........we will always get a bonus pick after the first round is over. Although I suppose it's worth noting that the more teams that have picks between 11-30 overall that sign a QO guy....the better those comp picks become......slightly.

Good comment.

Seems like a Buck player but at what price.

LaRoche will have suitors in free agency, and should land a nice multi-year deal with a team in need of a veteran first baseman. The Brewers are regarded as one top candidate, and the Marlins could have interest, as well.

http://www.masnsports.com/nationals-pastime/2014/10/saying-goodbye-to-laroche-and-soriano.html

When you put it that way, do you mean as the Cruz replacement?

Yes. I'm hoping another team ponies up the 45+ million for Cruz and we get the pick and then replace him with another guy likely to give us ~80% of Cruz's production for a fraction of the cost, both in terms of dollars and years.

I want the best guy I can get, that fits into the budget here.

Which option do you prefer:

Cruz for 3/45

or

Butler/Morse/LaRoche for 1/10 + a pick + Miller for 3/30?

Seems pretty obvious to me that the second option would be significantly better for the Orioles. For the record, I wouldn't be in favor of signing Miller to a 3/30 contract; I just used him to illustrate the opportunity cost tied up with signing Cruz.

Which option do you prefer:

Cruz for 3/45

or

Butler/Morse/LaRoche for 1/10 + a pick + Miller for 3/30?

Seems pretty obvious to me that the second option would be significantly better for the Orioles. For the record, I wouldn't be in favor of signing Miller to a 3/30 contract; I just used him to illustrate the opportunity cost tied up with signing Cruz.

It appears the Cruz is after a four year 53 million dollar deal.

Archived