Adam LaRoche - Any Interest? (Update: ChiSox 2 - $25M)

backwardsk

I like a .340 OBP (.360 last year). Won't take a long deal to sign him. And can help us fill a hole in RF without having to spend 3/36 that can be used elsewhere. The 30HR is an added bonus.

I dislike LaRoche. I doubt he would be on base 33% of the time for us. In the AL.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like a .340 OBP (.360 last year). Won't take a long deal to sign him. And can help us fill a hole in RF without having to spend 3/36 that can be used elsewhere. The 30HR is an added bonus.

By the way, he is not signing the offer that the Marlins made.

I say we try to sign him a slightly better deal than what he's been offered. Not much risk for so few years. It would give us flexibility: he could DH some or free up others to DH if we don't get Cruz; if we do get Cruz, he can 1B and allow for some different looks in the outfield if/when we don't resign Markakis, etc.

I dislike LaRoche. I doubt he would be on base 33% of the time for us. In the AL.

Your hate of the Nats clouds your view of everything...

I will say this. I won't miss his hillbillie walk up music in DC. Neither will the fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to MLB network he is nearing a 2/20 deal with Marlins. I'd take him at 1b and put Davis is RF for this year.

He's 35 and in his entire career he's had one season that was worth more than 2014 Nick Markakis*. His established level (in the NL) is about 1.5 wins per year (last three years, weighted 3, 2, 1). So you can assume he'll give you 1.0, and 0.5 wins over the next two years, for a total of 1.5, worth $9M. He's rumored to be signing/interested/turning down twice that.

* [snarkmode]Which we now know is easily replaceable with some random guy off waivers[/snarkmode]

At the very least he will get on at that clip. If the O's could limit his exposure to lefties' date=' he would be on base even more.[/quote']

He has nowhere to play on this team. I never cared for him as a Brave and do not care for him now as a Free Agent. I have no idea whether he still has his TUE but I do not wish to take that chance.

He's 35 and in his entire career he's had one season that was worth more than 2014 Nick Markakis*. His established level (in the NL) is about 1.5 wins per year (last three years, weighted 3, 2, 1). So you can assume he'll give you 1.0, and 0.5 wins over the next two years, for a total of 1.5, worth $9M. He's rumored to be signing/interested/turning down twice that.

* [snarkmode]Which we now know is easily replaceable with some random guy off waivers[/snarkmode]

His defense just kills him. He's probably better suited as a platoon player. But as an AL team, I'd go 10 million. Limit his exposure in the field and against lefties, and you could probably have a 3 WAR player.

I am not a fan. And he does have some power so that is unusual for me. Don't like him.

Last year if he had DHed for 140 games, he would have been worth 2.3 WAR. His lack of value is in his defense, but if he's willing to DH, then he could prove value as well as 1B against lefties or so.

Last year if he had DHed for 140 games, he would have been worth 2.3 WAR. His lack of value is in his defense, but if he's willing to DH, then he could prove value as well as 1B against lefties or so.

That's if he hits as well as a DH as he did when playing the field. The average player loses 20-30 points of OPS when DHing. And he's a year older in his mid-30s. I wouldn't expect a 2-win season from him as a DH.

That's if he hits as well as a DH as he did when playing the field. The average player loses 20-30 points of OPS when DHing. And he's a year older in his mid-30s. I wouldn't expect a 2-win season from him as a DH.

If we don't resign Cruz that might be around what we should expect. = (

Archived