Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

Nick's agent is really earning his pay with the leaks flying about the less than 50/50 chance of return and now the Yankees willing to go five years (maybe they are, but that leak surely comes from Nick's agent either way). DD will hold to the line I suspect and Nick very well may walk. If he has a five year deal on the table he should have signed it yesterday.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we don't get Nick or Nelson back' date=' that's a lot more payroll flexibility. Dan must have had roughly 25 million per year on the table for the two of them. Now (rubbing hands like and evil scientist and laughing), who will we spend it on?[/quote']

Keep in mind that part of that may mean keeping guys who otherwise may have been trade chips like De Aza or Norris. Including all 11 arbitration guys, they are still at around $110MM right now for 2015. If they had resigned Cruz and Markakis, they likely would have traded away salary from another position.

Not sure how he fits in with the Yanks but I guess it's possible. Gardner, Ellsbury, Markakis? 3 Lefthanded hitting outfielders with little power? Forces Beltran to the DH spot and ARod to the field.

BTW, Gershman is a college student at Pace University.

Does that mean he is not connected to the team insiders?

I've never heard of Gershman. Who is he?

Just a baseball writer I've followed for a few years. ESPN/BtBS/SBNation etc. I've never considered him a source for breaking news but he strikes me as credible.

Except one time he said he'd eat a kitten if the Marlins signed Jose Reyes and, while I have no sources, I don't think he did.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Yankees?src=hash">#Yankees</a> in serious discussions with OF Nick Markakis. Said to be looking for fifth yr- Yanks might "take the bate," says source.</p>? Dave Gershman (@Dave_Gershman) <a href="
">December 2, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>From earlier: there is serious interest in Nick Markakis from the Yankees. Is looking for 5th year and Yanks might take the bait.</p>? Dave Gershman (@Dave_Gershman) <a href="

">December 2, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2012/4/5/2919533/how-to-land-a-job-in-baseball-step-two-social-media-the-blogosphere

I love Nick Markakis, but I can't imagine the Yankees would really believe in giving him a five year contract. If he were under 30 and coming off his 2012 season, okay yeah. But, he's not under 30 anymore. Never mind the thought of him with the Yankees, while his right and decision to make, would make me sick to my stomach.

I love Nick Markakis, but I can't imagine the Yankees would really believe in giving him a five year contract. If he were under 30 and coming off his 2012 season, okay yeah. But, he's not under 30 anymore. Never mind the thought of him with the Yankees, while his right and decision to make, would make me sick to my stomach.

So the Yankees have never signed anyone over 30 to a five-year contract? LOL. I don't think Nick should command a five-year deal, but if he got one from the Yankees, he'd be 35 when that deal ended. That's like the median age of the Yankee starting lineup.

So the Yankees have never signed anyone over 30 to a five-year contract? LOL. I don't think Nick should command a five-year deal, but if he got one from the Yankees, he'd be 35 when that deal ended. That's like the median age of the Yankee starting lineup.

I never said they didn't. But compare the guys that they signed in their respective careers (Mark T., Sabathia, Giambi, Mussina, just to name a few) to where Nick is at this point in his career and tell me they're even remotely comparable.

The door is opening wider for Torii Hunter, and a much bolder move should be in the works. A payroll without Cruz, Markakis and Andrew Miller certainly would allow for it.

I still have see interest in T. Hunter at anything over 5Mil. Really don't want him at all.

More

A payroll without Cruz, Markakis and Andrew Miller certainly would allow for it

Archived