Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source confirms that talks between <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Braves?src=hash">#Braves</a> and Markakis are serious. <a href="https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN">@Buster_ESPN</a> reported that deal could be four years, $45M.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">December 3, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

YES THIS IS SO GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right Dewan and Tango. The info was raised/posted on the Bill James website.

TZ has always had home/away splits but it is relatively worthless imo. Even if you went by it 10 runs difference over that many years is basically nothing.

http://www.billjamesonline.com/playing_the_oufield_in_camden_yards/

I agree 10 runs is pretty meaningless, but +10 home vs. away comports with common sense a lot better than -36 or whatever nonsense Dewan was putting out there.

So who is our best choice to replace him among the FA? I'm leaning towards Aoki. Cheaper, less years, career .350 OBP guy, .280 BA, hits LHP better than RHP, plays league average RF, can steal 20 - 30 bases. Can we count on Lough to do that.

Aoki RF

Machado 3B

De Aza LF/Pearce

Jones CF

Davis 1B

Morse/Morales Pearce DH

Wieters C

Hardy SS

Schoop 2B

I agree 10 runs is pretty meaningless, but +10 home vs. away comports with common sense a lot better than -36 or whatever nonsense Dewan was putting out there.

I'd give the DRS/FB numbers much more weight. In any event there is no statistical support that he provides anything meaningful with his home/OPACY defense. If anything it leans the other way imo.

So who is our best choice to replace him among the FA? I'm leaning towards Aoki. Cheaper, less years, career .350 OBP guy, .280 BA, hits LHP better than RHP, plays league average RF, can steal 20 - 30 bases. Can we count on Lough to do that.

Aoki RF

Machado 3B

De Aza LF/Pearce

Jones CF

Davis 1B

Morse/Morales Pearce DH

Wieters C

Hardy SS

Schoop 2B

I like that lineup; I could live with that.

Happy to be wrong on his value as long as it's with another team. Jon Hart must be buying into the gold glove big time. He will have a lot more ground to cover in that park defensively. I predict single digit homers next year if the Braves sign him.

justD says Hart has always been a huge Nick fan, just in listening to him talk about Nick over the years.

Happy to be wrong on his value as long as it's with another team.

Well, you have been pretty brazen in your statements that Nick wouldn't get an offer like that from another team. I always thought you were way off base on how Nick would be viewed in the marketplace.

If Nick signs with Atlanta for 4/$45 mm I will not be mad at the Orioles, just sad as a long-time Nick fan that he signed somewhere else. I'm still betting he'll give the Orioles every chance to make a last offer that he finds acceptable given whatever else is on the table, and may still be willing to sign here for a tad less than he'd get somewhere else. The "home team discount" may not be as big if Atlanta is the alternative, given Nick's ties to the state. FYI, Nick's home town of Woodstock is only 30 miles north of Atlanta.

Archived