Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This has nothing to do with him wanting to be in Georgia over Baltimore. Everything to do with him not getting similar offer to Atlanta and 4th year. He'd rather be here.

Wanna bet? He probably told the Braves, O's are going with 3 and I want to play for my hometown team and end my career there, give me 4 years. Hart who has a hard on for Nick is okay with that.

If Braves doesn't give him 4, Nick is back in Baltimore and signs a one year deal with Braves in 2018.

In the unlikely event he would have accepted, yes. He wouldn't have accepted.

Why? Other players cheaper for same value.. and that's a difference between thinking with no concept of being efficient with your money as a small/mid market team and being the Yankees. Yankees can afford to over pay and make mistakes. Orioles can't.

He might have been operating under orders.

I've wondered from the beginning if the QO was the one place where the Angelos family might step in and tell DD what to do. Because of the team's special relationship with Nick, not offering him a QO would be an act of negotiating in good faith as well as a way of saying thank you.

That sounds a bit warm and fuzzy in today's razor edged business world, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Did you read the quote from Nick that bdub 85 posted in this thread?

Don't care about the quote because you clearly didn't read it either. In a perfect world. Nothing in the world is perfect. Nick knows he's on his way out. Knows he was overpaid early in his career so the O's are gonna seek a massively team friendly deal. So he's gonna go what is fair value for his services and it's not gonna be with the Giants, it's not gonna be anywhere else other then Orioles or Braves.

If it was about the money, Nick will end up being a Giant.

Anyone else find it absolutely hilarious that they trade Heyward then look to sign his much older, much slower, clone? But you know, without the upside.

My friend the Braves fan at work didn't think it funny when I mentioned it to him today.

He is pretty much into shaking his head mode at this point.

Why? Other players cheaper for same value.. and that's a difference between thinking with no concept of being efficient with your money as a small/mid market team and being the Yankees. Yankees can afford to over pay and make mistakes. Orioles can't.

He would not have accepted. In the unlikely he did, it would not have been that big of a deal. I understand short term budgeting issues are more challenging but the risk-reward was totally on our side on this. Duquette either misjudged the market or we were just too to nice about it. We just disagree about this.

Archived