Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

Damn, not a lot of love for Nick around these parts. I know he isn't a superstar but he is not a bad guy to have on your team and he is a Buck type of player which you can't quantify. Obviously I'm hoping for a home town discount for more years but it's not that bad of a situation.

But the problem is that is exactly what a contract is suppose to do. And I'm not sure hardcore "Buck" guys are that great of a thing. I'm happy to not have Teagarden and Jim Johnson on this team.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You guys really need to loosen up and take a chill pill you know it. A four year deal to Nick Markakis is not going to hurt the Orioles. Nick could play first base or DH in worst case scenario. The Orioles can't afford to lose Nick and Nelson Cruz. You have to lock up Nick because the chances of resigning Nelson Cruz are not that high.

Please god no.

You guys really need to loosen up and take a chill pill you know it. A four year deal to Nick Markakis is not going to hurt the Orioles. Nick could play first base or DH in worst case scenario. The Orioles can't afford to lose Nick and Nelson Cruz. You have to lock up Nick because the chances of resigning Nelson Cruz are not that high.

His bat doesn't play at 1B or DH.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick*Markakis <a href="http://t.co/Dh6l1difFe">http://t.co/Dh6l1difFe</a></p>— MLB Trade Rumors (@mlbtraderumors) <a href="
">November 2, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

What a mistake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are so consistently negative to the team and the players. Why do you even follow the team?

If the Orioles want to return to the playoffs in 2015' date=' they can't lose both Nick and Nelson plain and simple. Signing Nick to a long term deal is about 2015 and 2016 and the chance to win now baby.[/quote']

I'm not sure in the history of baseball that a barely 2 WAR player has been the difference between post season and staying home for October.

If the Orioles want to return to the playoffs in 2015' date=' they can't lose both Nick and Nelson plain and simple. Signing Nick to a long term deal is about 2015 and 2016 and the chance to win now baby.[/quote']

Why do you think they can't lose Nick?

In 2012, the O's actually played their best ball in September when Nick was out (19-9 in Sept/Oct). He's a good guy, but he's not a core player we need or anything.

Why can't they lose Nick? What has Nick given them the last few years that isn't replaceable?

Your 1b and DH are supposed to be some of your best hitters. Not a guy who just had a season with a .111 ISO

Man, it sure is disappointing. I feel like they'll end up bringing back Markakis for a pretty penny, and then use that as an excuse why they couldn't sign Cruz or Miller.

They are not trying to bring back Miller, and the new deal will probably involve the two million of money that is owed for the option declination. So if they call it a 4/40 it will really be a 4/38. My belief only.

I think people don't realize how valuable Nick is to the team. He would be better suited to the second spot in the line up. But he goes out every day and plays a solid outfield. He might no be as good in a bigger stadium but he keeps people from going 1st to third and turns doubles into singles at Camden Yards and is the only player on the team with a decent OBP he would be tought to replace.

I think people don't realize how valuable Nick is to the team. He would be better suited to the second spot in the line up. But he goes out every day and plays a solid outfield. He might no be as good in a bigger stadium but he keeps people from going 1st to third and turns doubles into singles at Camden Yards and is the only player on the team with a decent OBP he would be tought to replace.

Does he turn more doubles into singles with his arm, or with his lead foot with the bat?

He also turns a ton of outs into singles/doubles because of his lack of range.

Archived