Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Orioles and Nick Markakis should stay paired up despite his name now appearing among the list of baseball's free agents. The two sides have been talking for weeks - I've heard that the framework involves a four-year deal - and I'd expect an agreement at some point in the not-too-distant future.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2014/11/catching-up-on-hundley-and-markakis.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

What a mistake.

The Orioles and Nick Markakis should stay paired up despite his name now appearing among the list of baseball's free agents. The two sides have been talking for weeks - I've heard that the framework involves a four-year deal - and I'd expect an agreement at some point in the not-too-distant future.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2014/11/catching-up-on-hundley-and-markakis.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

What a mistake.

You do know how MLB Trade Rumors works, right? It is an aggregator of stories posted elsewhere. In this case, the MLBTR story in your original post stemmed solely from this very blog by Roch Kubatko. I don't know why you are getting upset again. It is the same information.

I don't have a problem with 4 years depending on the AAV. I think Nick can average 1.5 W over 4 years so at 4/36 he shouldn't turn us into the Phillies single handedly. There are no better FA options this season. But we still have to upgrade elsewhere.

But we still have to upgrade elsewhere.

Where do we find the money to upgrade elsewhere if we wrap up this much money in Markakis? It likely puts us out of the Cruz sweepstakes and I don't expect us to do anything else but sign a guy or two for a couple million dollars.

With or without Markakis they are going to need to really come up big at DH. Markakis doesn't really factor into that.

It does to me. Because I don't think it's as much of a guarantee as you do that Lough/Pearce produce the offense that Markakis will. Again, that's jmo. I guess the money saved on Nick could go towards the 4/45m or more it will take to sign Cruz or Martinez. Cause thats the only difference makers with the bats avaiable via FA.

It does to me. Because I don't think it's as much of a guarantee as you do that Lough/Pearce produce the offense that Markakis will. Again, that's jmo. I guess the money saved on Nick could go towards the 4/45m or more it will take to sign Cruz or Martinez. Cause thats the only difference makers with the bats avaiable via FA.

They don't have to produce the offense that Markakis would. Lough is a far superior defender and I think Pearce is a bit better as well.

Even if they give less offense (I think current Pearce is a better offensive player than current Markakis though), they're both better defenders than Markakis and you can recoup production there.

Where do we find the money to upgrade elsewhere if we wrap up this much money in Markakis? It likely puts us out of the Cruz sweepstakes and I don't expect us to do anything else but sign a guy or two for a couple million dollars.

We don't know what the budget is or what the terms of Nicks contract would be. If Nick signs for 10m or less per, that shouldn't hinder more moves. If it does, then you can cross a lot of upgrades off the list.

Archived