Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

I'm at a point with Nick where I'd love to have him back, but if he leaves, I'll wish him well in his future endeavors.

What I AM NOT looking forward to is all the Nick bashing if he signs with Boston or NY or someone like that. I don't want people to suddenly hate on Nick for going to the enemy when so many on here don't even want him back. It happened with BRob last year, which I thought was a complete disgrace after no one on this board wanted Roberts back.

If Nick leaves, let's wish him well, appreciate what he gave us in his time here, and move on. Let's leave the hatred and Monday Morning QBing alone, please?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm at a point with Nick where I'd love to have him back, but if he leaves, I'll wish him well in his future endeavors.

What I AM NOT looking forward to is all the Nick bashing if he signs with Boston or NY or someone like that. I don't want people to suddenly hate on Nick for going to the enemy when so many on here don't even want him back. It happened with BRob last year, which I thought was a complete disgrace after no one on this board wanted Roberts back.

If Nick leaves, let's wish him well, appreciate what he gave us in his time here, and move on. Let's leave the hatred and Monday Morning QBing alone, please?

He did not hit himself upon the head. He took a CC pitch off the wrist. There is a difference. Nick played hard for us.

Probably the only people that would bash Markakis for signing with the Yanks or Soxs are the people that want him back.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Pearce on Cruz & Markakis: "What they bring isn't replaceable. They are good veterans, great clubhouse guys. We want them back"</p>— MLB Network Radio (@MLBNetworkRadio) <a href="

">November 11, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Pearce gets a chance. To talk.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Pearce on Cruz & Markakis: "What they bring isn't replaceable. They are good veterans, great clubhouse guys. We want them back"</p>— MLB Network Radio (@MLBNetworkRadio) <a href="
">November 11, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Pearce gets a chance. To talk.

That's nice teamspeak from Pearce.

If we gave him sodium pentathol (Truth Serum) though it would more likely come out like this. "Sure I want Nick or Cruz back but I also want 500 AB so I can paid one day also. If that means one of them has to go to, then cya pal....text me sometime we will grab lunch"

Certainly he could be the everyday LF if they both came back and they let DeAza walk, that said DeAza has a different tool set. At some level he has to know if one of them walks his AB's are all but certain

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-2015-free-agent-landmines/

3. Nick Markakis, Outfielder

Crowd: 3 years, $33 million

Dave: 4 years, $40 million

At this point, Markakis is essentially a lesser version of Nori Aoki, and I’ll be honest, I don’t understand why the market is apparently so bullish on the Orioles right fielder. He’s extremely durable, but he just doesn’t do enough to really impact a team in a significant way, and yet, it seems to be fait accompli that he’s going to land a four year contract for real money.

Markakis is essentially an average offensive player, which is fine for a plus defender, but defensive metrics don’t think Markakis has been a big asset with the glove in years, and even if you think they’re wrong about him, he’s still heading into his age-31 season, so paying for glovework seems like a poor idea. Given his limited value, I’m not even sure I’d give Markakis a two year deal, much less than the three or four year contract he seems likely to land. He’s not entirely useless, but there certainly seem to be better ways to spend money than on locking up a below average player for his decline years.

FWIW he has Cruz at #4 mainly due to him being a future DH that had a career year at 34.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-2015-free-agent-landmines/

FWIW he has Cruz at #4 mainly due to him being a future DH that had a career year at 34.

Wow...they don't pull any punches huh?

I think Dan is giving Markakis te Reynolds/BRob treatment. Ie, here's a token offer, go get yourself a nice deal somewhere other than Baltimore.

Slightly surprised Buck or Angelos haven't stepped in, but I'm glad the GM is making these decisions.

Sure, but it is admittedly hard to argue with any of the points he makes re: Markakis.

Would we be better off with Aoki? Can't help but think perhaps we would.

I would rather hurt for two years then four years.

Yeah 2/16 for Aoki wouldn't be horrible I guess. I kinda like the Saunders idea myself.

Wow...they don't pull any punches huh?

I think Dan is giving Markakis te Reynolds/BRob treatment. Ie, here's a token offer, go get yourself a nice deal somewhere other than Baltimore.

Slightly surprised Buck or Angelos haven't stepped in, but I'm glad the GM is making these decisions.

According to Jim Duquette on XM just now, it's the other way around. They had an agreement for something in the neighborhood of 4/40 but the owner's sons let it sit on their desks, so Nick's agent has started talking to other teams.

It looks like Angelos's sons might already be "running" the teams. Usually I don't approve of owners interfering w/ the operation of the team, but a 4 year deal for Markakis is a bad investment.

Has anyone seen anything different than that? Or seen Dan Duquette not get what he really wants?

Archived