Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You were the one that said

Why? Because they're related? I don't think Dan confides in him as much others may assume.

Name the source at the OH that you believe is a more accurate one than JD. Is there some one here that is closer to DD than JD, no matter how much they do or don't talk?

I don't know what Jim Duquette hears, or from whom he gets his info. I highly doubt there was a contract sitting on an Angelos desk causing us not to lock up Markakis.

Jim was highly critical of Dan during Dan's first off-season with the club. I doubt Dan is giving Jim inside information. Remember Jim was fired by the team and is bitter towards them.

Guest rochester

I think the contract has been stalled at one of the Angelos's desk. But... I also believe Dan put it all the way to the bottom of the inbox and stuck it in an envelope looking like junk mail, or interoffice from the dad.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Orioles remain in negotiations with outfielder Nick Markakis on a multi-yr. deal; one of the unresolved issues is deferred dollars.</p>— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="

">November 11, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Orioles remain in negotiations with outfielder Nick Markakis on a multi-yr. deal; one of the unresolved issues is deferred dollars.</p>— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="

He wants the Bonilla plan!

If that is all it is, he's back. And that is all about Dan spending the Wieters and Davis money a year early.

I think once he told his agent to start looking at other offers all bets were off.

Meaning that you think he's no longer committed to whatever he discussed with the Orioles, or that you think his telling his agent to talk to other teams has motivated the Orioles to get off the dime?

I dunno, there's a lot of rampant speculation in the media about exactly what's going on. To me, it's the pretty normal dance. Once you take the step of filing for free agency, it's awfully hard not to at least see what interest there is from other teams, since it can only help you in your negotiations with your old club. I still haven't forgotten how far down the road we got with Konerko only to have him sign with the White Sox for less. Nick's been pretty blatant about his desire to stay with the Orioles, but that doesn't mean he's going to give them a giant discount off his market value, just an appreciable one. It does seem to me like the market conditions are pretty favorable to him and he can get a good deal from the O's even while giving a discount from what some other team might pay.

Archived