Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It makes all the sense in the world that there is deferred money in both Nick's and Nelson's offers. The O's deferred money in Ubaldo and Hardy's deals. Negotiating over how much and when it is paid could be happening.

I wouldn't be surprised that if Nick and Nelson sign the O's trade Davis. It would be good for the payroll and offer Pearce more playing time. That's just me guessing.

It makes all the sense in the world that there is deferred money in both Nick's and Nelson's offers. The O's deferred money in Ubaldo and Hardy's deals. Negotiating over how much and when it is paid could be happening.

I wouldn't be surprised that if Nick and Nelson sign the O's trade Davis. It would be good for the payroll and offer Pearce more playing time. That's just me guessing.

Boy I hope not, on almost all counts. I want Davis manning 1B for us. I'm OK with letting Nelson go if it gets too expensive. I'm more than willing to let Markakis go. I don't want Pearce being exposed playing full-time over a full season.

I'm okay with 3 years at 10 mil. a pop even though I think the money could be put to better use. I'm not crazy about 4 years' date=' though I don't think it will be a disaster as I don't think he'll fall off of a cliff.[/quote']

You mean you don't think he will fall off a cliff again. He has already dropped from a low to mid 800's OPS in his mid 20's to a low 700's OPS as he turned 30.

Problem is it hasn't been a cliff but a steady decline.

If the O's sign Markakis for 4 years the will get (avg for 4 years), a .675 to .700 OPS hitter with no power no speed, and marginal defense. This is going to be a bad signing

You mean you don't think he will fall off a cliff again. He has already dropped from a low to mid 800's OPS in his mid 20's to a low 700's OPS as he turned 30.

If the O's sign Markakis for 4 years the will get (avg for 4 years), a .675 to .700 OPS hitter with no power no speed, and marginal defense. This is going to be a bad signing

Nick is one of my favorite players, but I have to agree with this. His speed and defense (which, of course, are connected) have really fallen off over the last few years. If we're going to pay a singles hitter to man RF, I wouldn't mind it being Aoki on a shorter term, less money deal.

I still think we should be going with a Pearce/Lough platoon in RF, with each starting 80 games or so.

Nick is one of my favorite players, but I have to agree with this. His speed and defense (which, of course, are connected) have really fallen off over the last few years. If we're going to pay a singles hitter to man RF, I wouldn't mind it being Aoki on a shorter term, less money deal.

I still think we should be going with a Pearce/Lough platoon in RF, with each starting 80 games or so.

I love Nick, and the nostalgic part of me wants him to be an O forever. However, a Lough/Pearce platoon will cost about $9M less per year, which means we hopefully can invest those resources in a Cruz replacement and/or high OBP leadoff guy. It's just the smarter move long term.

Would still be sad to see Nick leave and would cheer for him no matter what team he signs with.

Guest rochester
Not so far off from my 3/24 contract. I prefer to believe this JDXM. I hope that's the final offer too.

3/24 would be great but 3/34 is fine. Nick, rightfully so, gets praise for being so consistent which, unfortunately, is the problem. If he had speed he would be a good lead off hitter, good fielder and worth the $$ but he doesn't and is not. Plus, I have had a gut feeling for awhile that he may not be an O next year. I just have this nagging feeling that DD would love to have that $10-12M/year or so to spend elsewhere.

You have to factor in the league wide decline in OPS during the relevant period. Nick has still declined appreciably from his peak, but not nearly as badly as his raw OPS would suggest.

You have to factor in the league wide decline in OPS during the relevant period. Nick has still declined appreciably from his peak, but not nearly as badly as his raw OPS would suggest.

Five years ago Cruz 2014 season would not have been the monster season that it was last year.

Truth. His .729 OPS this year was basically equivalent to his .801 in 2009. WRC+ has them at 107 and 106 respectively. However, it is still quite a bit down from the 138 he had in his peak year in 2008.

Archived