Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

By the way, I'm not quite sure what I expect Nick to do next year. In early to mid August it seemed like he was on his way to a really fine season, and then he went into a really prolonged slump. At the end of the day it's the full season numbers that count, but I still think Nick is more likely to be .750+ than under .700.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
By the way, I'm not quite sure what I expect Nick to do next year. In early to mid August it seemed like he was on his way to a really fine season, and then he went into a really prolonged slump. At the end of the day it's the full season numbers that count, but I still think Nick is more likely to be .750+ than under .700.

He seemed to rebound after getting a few days off. I wouldn't mind seeing him rested for a couple days each month. No shame in playing 150 games.

I'm not sure why you feel this way, other than your admitted Nick bias. His last two seasons are .685 and .729.

According to the not to be believed(by the OH cognoscenti) JDXM, the O's initial offer was 4/34. I would have been fine with that.

Gordo, you can take shots at me if you want, I'm okay with it, but herein lies my issue with Jim Duquette (with a U). Out of one side of his mouth, he says the deal is done and is "lying on the desk" of an Angelos boy being held up. Then, out of the other side of his mouth, he implies negotiations are ongoing when he says the Orioles "initial" offer was 4/34. Which is it Duke? Ya know, since he's got the in with his cousin and all.

According DD, we have enough financial flexibility to retain both Cruz and Markakis.

I'll pass. Markakis is big time favourite for all of us, but he's not better player than Aoki ( http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs/interesting-free-agent-comparison-1/ ). Spend that money on Melky Cabrera, Nori Aoki and Adam Laroche.

Opening day:

LF Cabrera S

3B Machado R

CF Jones R

DH Laroche L

1B Pearce R

C Wieters S

SS Hardy R

2B Schoop R

RF Aoki L

Archived