Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

As I said in another thread....I believe Nick is a good right fielder, but I cannot prove this with statistics.

All I know is watching the games every single day, I don't see many balls where I go "Man, a better right fielder had that." There are some, sure, but not often.

But how many balls are there that an excellent outfielder would get and make you say "I can't believe he got to that"?

There were maybe two balls I saw Nick get to that I didn't think that someone like Lough would get to easily.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As I said in another thread....I believe Nick is a good right fielder, but I cannot prove this with statistics.

All I know is watching the games every single day, I don't see many balls where I go "Man, a better right fielder had that." There are some, sure, but not often.

I don't see what you see. I see a lot of balls falling in front and down the line that I thinkk other rightfielders would have gotten to or played better with better speed, especially at OPACY. I think most on here understand his lack of range offsets his strengths to a considerable degree. I do think he had a reasonably good year this year though. I will go with the stats and just I don't care about the GG.

I've never been one to bash Nick, because I don't think hes defensive metrics are all that bad (and some were probably due to injury etc,) as some portray them. That said I'm not buying into the he's a "Gold Glover" and "better than the metrics" stuff either.

Because he has more than a two year track record and has had a .750+ OPS the other 7 seasons.

The run scoring environment has changed dramatically the last couple of years. His recent performance sure means more to me at 31 years old than anything he did in his mid 20s.

The run scoring environment has changed dramatically the last couple of years. His recent performance sure means more to me at 31 years old than anything he did in his mid 20s.

Of course. But his OPS+ over those 7 seasons would still eclipse .750 OPS in the current run environment. Not saying it is particularly likely but I too think it is more likely than him being sub .700.

Of course. But his OPS+ over those 7 seasons would still eclipse .750 OPS in the current run environment. Not saying it is particularly likely but I too think it is more likely than him being sub .700.

He'll be back.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/24802008/orioles-to-meet-with-markakis-agent-deal-with-him-more-likely-than-cruz?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

He was under .700 very recently. I'd certainly be more surprised by something over .750 than something under .700.

Sorry what Nick does is nothing special.

No need to be sorry. I just think you're wrong. There's a pretty good chance we'd have a hole in the lineup without him. He's not a spectacular player, but he's someone we can depend on for good OBP, good defense and solid day in, day out production.

Baseball is not just a numbers game, there's more involved than just sabermetrics.

No need to be sorry. I just think you're wrong. There's a pretty good chance we'd have a hole in the lineup without him. He's not a spectacular player, but he's someone we can depend on for good OBP, good defense and solid day in, day out production.

Baseball is not just a numbers game, there's more involved than just sabermetrics.

Just because one uses numbers to defend one's position does not mean that those numbers are the source of that position.

Birdland brings a lot to the table. He is not a sabermetrician though. He will latch on to something that a smart national guy says. And he definitely has HIS guys. That the smart guys don't care for but he does. So he picks and chooses. Like the most of us.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Duquette on Markakis: "We've done a lot of work on that and we're trying to move it along and I think we've moved it along." <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">November 12, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Asked if deal with Markakis could happen soon, Duquette said, "It's hard to tell. We've got some more work to do." <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

You mean DD upped his offer ??

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Duquette on Markakis: "We've done a lot of work on that and we're trying to move it along and I think we've moved it along." <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Asked if deal with Markakis could happen soon, Duquette said, "It's hard to tell. We've got some more work to do." <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

He was under .700 very recently. I'd certainly be more surprised by something over .750 than something under .700.

Sounds like a difference of opinion to me. Perhaps we should settle this with pistols at dawn? :D

Frankly I don't find the claim that he was under .700 very recently particularly persuasive when he was significantly above .750 EVERY OTHER SEASON. When you look at 2013 as "very recently" while viewing 2012 and earlier as the ancient past that cannot possibly be replicated or even considered, I think you may be grasping at straws. Hell, he had an OPS of .750+ even more recently, August 25th of this very season. Time will tell I suppose.

I don't care about the GG by default/playing time and we've already covered weaknesses in Inside Edge's numbers/analysis/methodology in the past which doesn't even provide a rating as I recall.

The best metrics available (UZR/DRS/TZ) all say he is mediocre. He has strengths (sure handedness/arm) and weaknesses (range). Subjectively, he fits the numbers very well imo and those numbers say mediocre.

If it looks, walks and quacks, there's a good chance it's a duck.

Our subjective views differ. When I watch Nick he looks above average -- not in range, but overall. I haven't seen the critiques of Inside Edge and so can't comment about that.

Archived