Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

Few are. I consider myself one of the bigger Markakis defenders on this board and it looks like they are going to go beyond my ceiling of 4/$40/.

Nick is one of my favorite O's. I am looking at this from a business perspective, though. I just think the guy is slowing down quickly and I think 4 years is too long.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Catching the balls you do get to. Cal never had the range, was he a below average SS?

This was my argument last week, and the only answer I got was, "Speed is important in the outfield." Okay then.

I stick by my opinion that stats aside, Nick gets to most of the balls he should because of his positioning, and he doesn't muff anything and allow extra bases to the runners.

The more I think about it, the more I want him back. It may be illogical. He may get overpaid. But every now and then I just want some guys on the team who I like and who I enjoy watching play. Nick is one of those guys.

This was my argument last week, and the only answer I got was, "Speed is important in the outfield." Okay then.

I stick by my opinion that stats aside, Nick gets to most of the balls he should because of his positioning, and he doesn't muff anything and allow extra bases to the runners.

The more I think about it, the more I want him back. It may be illogical. He may get overpaid. But every now and then I just want some guys on the team who I like and who I enjoy watching play. Nick is one of those guys.

But are you going to want to see him in 3-4 seasons?

It is the length that is killing me on this one.

I'd be interested to see the numbers on Cal. He didn't have great range but they say he positioned himself very well and made up for it by doing that.

Markakis cheats out to RCF to close the gap and gives up the RF line. The numbers have said for a long time that Markakis is below average. Last year was actually a better year for him numbers wise. If his defense regresses to 2012-13 levels and his offense stays where it as, he's a 1 WAR player.

He does catch what he gets to. Nelson Cruz caught what he got to last year too.

Nellie dropped a can of corn in the World Series that would have been the final out and given Texas a Championship.

Just saying.

But are you going to want to see him in 3-4 seasons?

It is the length that is killing me on this one.

I hear ya Corn. Cal wasn't much fun to watch in the final year or two of his career, but I still "enjoyed" him, if that makes sense.

I think by the 3rd or 4th year we are definitely going to be complaining that he's overpaid, but by the same token, in my opinion anyway, that only matters if it prevents us from acquiring or keeping other talent.

If next offseason we hear, "We couldn't afford to keep Wieters due to the obligations to Nick and Ubaldo" then I will flip out and go nuts. But if the Orioles think signing Nick is in their best interest, AND it doesn't handcuff the budget for Duke, then I'm okay with it.

I hear ya Corn. Cal wasn't much fun to watch in the final year or two of his career, but I still "enjoyed" him, if that makes sense.

I think by the 3rd or 4th year we are definitely going to be complaining that he's overpaid, but by the same token, in my opinion anyway, that only matters if it prevents us from acquiring or keeping other talent.

If next offseason we hear, "We couldn't afford to keep Wieters due to the obligations to Nick and Ubaldo" then I will flip out and go nuts. But if the Orioles think signing Nick is in their best interest, AND it doesn't handcuff the budget for Duke, then I'm okay with it.

Dip, it is killing me that the only argument that is being made to keep Nick is an emotional one. Would anyone be interested in signing him to a four year deal if he had played his whole career someplace else?

Dip, it is killing me that the only argument that is being made to keep Nick is an emotional one. Would anyone be interested in signing him to a four year deal if he had played his whole career someplace else?

No, we wouldn't. Cruz is the perfect example. If he was a career Oriole coming off his season last year, he would be signed already. But because there is no real emotional attachment, the discussion on this board is much more financially based. So, yeah, you're right, no doubt about it AT ALL that this extension is based on emotional attachment.

That said, I still don't think he's as bad (sorry, mediocre) as many on this board are making him out to be.

No, we wouldn't. Cruz is the perfect example. If he was a career Oriole coming off his season last year, he would be signed already. But because there is no real emotional attachment, the discussion on this board is much more financially based. So, yeah, you're right, no doubt about it AT ALL that this extension is based on emotional attachment.

That said, I still don't think he's as bad (sorry, mediocre) as many on this board are making him out to be.

I think he is relentlessly average and I don't want to lock that up for four years.

I don't think it fiscally responsible for Markakis to account for approx. 10% of the teams payroll. He isn't a difference maker anymore, and just isn't worth that kind of commitment. It's not a strong market for outfielders this off season so Nick is inevitably going to get over paid, but I just don't think it's wise for us to be the ones to over pay him. I would rather punt on Markakis and find a suitable platoon in RF with Lough being the LH side of it.

I don't think it fiscally responsible for Markakis to account for approx. 10% of the teams payroll. He isn't a difference maker anymore, and just isn't worth that kind of commitment. It's not a strong market for outfielders this off season so Nick is inevitably going to get over paid, but I just don't think it's wise for us to be the ones to over pay him. I would rather punt on Markakis and find a suitable platoon in RF with Lough being the LH side of it.

If the Orioles lock up both Markakis and Cruz on 4 year deals, I would almost think the offseason would almost be an epic fail for the LT future of the team.

Archived