Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

If we commit 10-12 million dollars to Nick Markakis, and do nothing to upgrade 2B (again) I'll be very disappointed.

When we could potentially lose 70 HRs (from Cruz & Davis), I don't think it's a great idea to invest 10% of the payroll for a slap hitting corner OF, who can't run.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we commit 10-12 million dollars to Nick Markakis, and do nothing to upgrade 2B (again) I'll be very disappointed.

When we could potentially lose 70 HRs (from Cruz & Davis), I don't think it's a great idea to invest 10% of the payroll for a slap hitting corner OF, who can't run.

Care to make a list of all the clear upgrades at second base so we can go ahead and dismiss all of them?

I think Schoop is the real deal and is worth sticking with him. With Schoop's defense and potential to be a 20-25 HR guy, if he can hit at a .250+ clip and become just a little more patient at the plate I don't see many as an upgrade. Let the kid develop his game before you put a roadblock in front of him. I think in another year or so we are going to really love Schoop.

Guest rochester
a 4 year deal ends at what? When Markakis is 35? I don't see him getting that progressively worse from age 31 to 35. If it was like Nelson Cruz who wants a 4 or 5 year deal at the age of 34-35 I get the hesitation.

Man, I gotta tell you - I completely forgot that Nick is only going to be 31 this week... I kept thinking he was already 34-35... I know this is a heckuva way to change a mind but ~$10-12M isn't horrible at all now. How did he lose so much speed or did he never have it? Of course this is coming from the guy that thought he was 34-35. I could see him staying consistent throughout a 3-4 year contract.

Man, I gotta tell you - I completely forgot that Nick is only going to be 31 this week... I kept thinking he was already 34-35... I know this is a heckuva way to change a mind but ~$10-12M isn't horrible at all now. How did he lose so much speed or did he never have it? Of course this is coming from the guy that thought he was 34-35. I could see him staying consistent throughout a 3-4 year contract.

You keep thinking he is 34-35 because that is the age he basically plays at right now.

You keep thinking he is 34-35 because that is the age he basically plays at right now.

I have no idea why Nick seem to lose his speed and power. I hate to mention the steroid possibility but I can't totally ignore that as a possibility either.

Either way though if Nick can maintain last years production for 4 more seasons you are paying about the going rate for an average major league starting outfielder. I believe that with his approach at the plate he shouldn't have a problem doing that. His defense is a little scary because his range isn't very good but it's not like he will ever be confused as Delmon Young either.

I would love to have a young guy with more upside but the reality is we don't have anyone in the organization right now that I have total faith in replacing Nick. His teammates like him, Buck loves him along with ownership. I never really thought he wasn't going to be an Oriole next year.

I have no idea why Nick seem to lose his speed and power. I hate to mention the steroid possibility but I can't totally ignore that as a possibility either.

Either way though if Nick can maintain last years production for 4 more seasons you are paying about the going rate for an average major league starting outfielder. I believe that with his approach at the plate he shouldn't have a problem doing that. His defense is a little scary because his range isn't very good but it's not like he will ever be confused as Delmon Young either.

Markakis was okay at best last year defensively, but that is the best defensive year he has had in a while. To maintain last year's production, he would have to play the field like that every year over the next 4. There is very little chance of that happening.

And while we aren't the Marlins, we aren't the Yankees either. Paying basically the market rate is not a good idea for this team, and it's a horrible idea for a 2 WAR player. Our dollars have to go a little bit further than what will probably amount to a 1:1 ratio, if we are lucky.

My only question with this is can we get the same production for less? If so' date=' we can spend those dollars elsewhere.[/quote']

I don't see how anybody could argue that it would be difficult to get a 2 WAR production from the current players. I suppose it isn't a guarantee, but that is true with Markakis too.

I would love to have a young guy with more upside but the reality is we don't have anyone in the organization right now that I have total faith in replacing Nick. His teammates like him, Buck loves him along with ownership. I never really thought he wasn't going to be an Oriole next year.

I'm sticking with the same theory I have had for the last five or so years. Even if it occasionally get me mocked.

I have noticed a small trickle of folks that now agree with me.

I look at Nick like I looked at JJ last year. We can get the same thing for cheaper, then 8 million of those dollars goes to upgrading the team elsewhere-Cruz. If we can get Nick's production for 8-10 million cheaper, then you spend that elsewhere, maybe Cruz again. No if we could get rid of the Ubaldo contract, we could really upgrade.

Archived