Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

The point remains the same. Are there any players who played the plurality of their games at first base through age 31 who were serviceable outfielders later in their career? It doesn't pass the smell test to me.

Are there a ton of players in general who are serviceable outfielders "later in their career"? It seems as outfielders get older, their range declines, etc., their defensive serviceable-ness is carried by their bat. Which is the scary part about Markakis. He has so little bat for the position, it really isn't going to carry him as he range continues to decline.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Damn, not a lot of love for Nick around these parts. I know he isn't a superstar but he is not a bad guy to have on your team and he is a Buck type of player which you can't quantify. Obviously I'm hoping for a home town discount for more years but it's not that bad of a situation.

You would think we were talking about a real albatross deal with some of this commentary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The point remains the same. Are there any players who played the plurality of their games at first base through age 31 who were serviceable outfielders later in their career? It doesn't pass the smell test to me.
TEchnically, Pearce has played more games in the OF than 1b (147 to 144). But he's always been an above average defender in the OF, with a career 3.5 UZR there.

I'll gladly stand behind someone else's research. (especially when it confirms my eyes)

You would think we were talking about a real albatross deal with some of this commentary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is.

I do not want a replacement level player sucking down at bats in years the team should be contending.

It isn't about the money with me, it is about the commitment.

I am not suggesting that Nick will be replacement level in 2015

Cruz played like an offensive powerhouse this year. You said if they don't sign Markakis' date=' they better sign Cruz, or else they better be able to turn it into a 6 inning game. That doesn't imply merely "depth," that implies that without Markakis, they are really going to need production from the DH spot or else they are in trouble. But that just isn't true. They are really going to need production from the DH spot, regardless of Markakis. He isn't a difference maker, he is, at you alluded to, more of a "depth" player than anything else.

And you don't think De Aza, Lough, Pearce, and Jones aren't enough depth? And depth is all well and good, but it must come at the right price. Paying Markakis X amount of money for 4 years, because it provides "depth," doesn't make sense. De Aza is cheaper. Why not get he same depth for a much cheaper price?[/quote']

How are De Aza, Lough, and Pearce depth. One's your starting LF and the other two have to platoon to replace Markakis. And if Cruz isn't brought back, Pearce is probably the everyday DH. Thats how not bringing back Nick affects depth.

How are De Aza, Lough, and Pearce depth. One's your starting LF and the other two have to platoon to replace Markakis. And if Cruz isn't brought back, Pearce is probably the everyday DH. Thats how not bringing back Nick affects depth.

Like I said earlier, Duquette will always bring in a bunch of bargain bin guys for depth. We'll have former major league OFs in AAA ready to come up if we'll need it. Theres no reason to spend tons of money to keep Markakis around for 4 years just because you're worried about injuries.

Like I said earlier, Duquette will always bring in a bunch of bargain bin guys for depth. We'll have former major league OFs in AAA ready to come up if we'll need it. Theres no reason to spend tons of money to keep Markakis around for 4 years just because you're worried about injuries.

No one knows the terms of a deal. Because a tweet said 4 years. It could turn out being a 2/22m type deal with an option. Thats not a ton or a deal that hinders the team. Especially since as you said, cheap depth is easy to find. Just not good depth. We lucked out in Pearce. Most depth is Kelly Johnson or Nick Hundley esq

TEchnically, Pearce has played more games in the OF than 1b (147 to 144). But he's always been an above average defender in the OF, with a career 3.5 UZR there.

You got me there. In my initial post I specified innings rather than games for that reason. I just think that if Steve Pearce was truly a serviceable Major League outfielder he would have played (significantly) more innings there than at first base. I don't think there is enough data to draw conclusions based on his UZR, but it would be weird for multiple teams over multiple years to play a decent defensive outfielder at first base rather than finding him a spot in the outfield.

Why would the Orioles not sign a DH type player if they don't bring back Cruz? That doesn't make any sense.

With Markakis, the O's outfield options will be: 1. Markakis 2. Jones 3. Lough or De Aza 4. Pearce 5. A possible DH

Without Markakis, the O's outfield options will be: 1. Lough 2. Jones 3. De Aza 4. Pearce 5. A possible DH

I don't see how we have less depth with Markakis than without him?

Why would the Orioles not sign a DH type player if they don't bring back Cruz? That doesn't make any sense.

With Markakis' date=' the O's outfield options will be: 1. Markakis 2. Jones 3. Lough or De Aza 4. Pearce 5. A possible DH

Without Markakis, the O's outfield options will be: 1. Lough 2. Jones 3. De Aza 4. Pearce 5. A possible DH

I don't see how we have less depth with Markakis than without him?[/quote']

Well for one, other than Cruz or VCab, who is worth signing that can't give you what Pearce can offensively? So no,, I don't think they would.

And its about less quality depth. Not depth in general.

No one knows the terms of a deal. Because a tweet said 4 years. It could turn out being a 2/22m type deal with an option. Thats not a ton or a deal that hinders the team. Especially since as you said, cheap depth is easy to find. Just not good depth. We lucked out in Pearce. Most depth is Kelly Johnson or Nick Hundley esq

No. Roch, who works for MASN said that the deal that both sides had been working on for two weeks centered around four years. Maybe it is more than 10 million AAV. But I would doubt it could be less. It wasn't a tweet. It was an article. He also said he expected it to be done. Shortly. My guess is tomorrow. Before 5 PM.

Well for one, other than Cruz or VCab, who is worth signing that can't give you what Pearce can offensively? So no,, I don't think they would.

And its about less quality depth. Not depth in general.

So what type of position player do they replace Cruz with?

And Markakis is an average baseball player. If he plays everyday, he will give you about 2 WAR in his good years, a negative WAR in his bad years. That's about what Lough and De Aza would be if they played everyday. With Markakis, without Markakis, our starting outfield will consist of a really good Jones, a wildcard in Pearce, and a player who is going to give you about 2 WAR and probably should be platooned with. Our bench will consist of a platoon player who would at best give you a 2 WAR season. Markakis doesn't change that dynamic, he just adds to the price you're paying for it.

With Markakis' date=' the O's outfield options will be: 1. Markakis 2. Jones 3. Lough or De Aza 4. Pearce 5. A possible DH

I don't see how we have less depth with Markakis than without him?[/quote']

Morse, Cruz, Delmon, Cuddyer. That's the only ones I can see.

Archived