Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

That's been repeated here many times. Do you really believe that? I mean not as an exaggeration to make a point. You really believe that if Nick is hitting .220/.250/.275 on June 15th Buck will just keep running him out there for 5 PAs a game the rest of the year? I think that's crazy - it won't happen. They'll let us know that he fell down in the parking lot and really hurt his ankle.

Jim Johnson.

Bucks one big fault is his loyalty to the guys he likes.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't take someone seriously when they suggest the ridiculous. You can't really think Nick plays 160 games OPSing .500. Even last year he was over .700 a good part of the season.

I assume you mean 2013, because yeah, he was over .700 for the majority of the season. From April 6th to August 19th his OPS was at least .700 at the end of every game except for four days in early May. He was at least .700 for 115 of his 160 games. At what point should he have been benched and for whom?

Yep, you don't devote 12 million dollars to a player and then bench him.

Perhaps his playing time is reduced in year two of his contract

Perhaps the O's even eat year 4.

But they will have at least 3 years of a lost roster spot, and 40 million dollars less to spend in other areas of need.

They don't? They devoted 11.25 million dollars to a starting pitcher and benched him.

Jim Johnson.

Bucks one big fault is his loyalty to the guys he likes.

This is just not even true. The only real example is Jim Johnson and people have selective memory about him. He was coming off back to back sub 3 ERA seasons, 50+ saves in 2012, and over 5 rWAR. Johnson had a really really bad May in 2013, 4 blown saves and an ERA of 9.75. His next worst month was August, when he had 3 blown saves and an ERA of 3.72. The rest of 2013, his ERA ranged from 0.64 - 2.08 and he was 38/40 in saves. When and why was Buck supposed to bench him? Because he had a bad month of May?

Benching Markakis is not even close to the same thing as sending Jimenez to the bullpen.

It might be easier to send a pitcher to the bullpen than it is to sit your starting RF...but people are talking about money and that's the same. And honestly I don't see how different it is, you still have to replace Jimenez in the starting rotation.

Agree with this 100%.

Buck's loyalty is going to work against him in a big way at some point if he keeps it up.

Is this sarcasm? Buck's ability to have a near bulletproof clubhouse seems, to me, to be his primary strength. And that is due in no small part to his loyalty.

I think it's a huge positive that he's about five times slower on his trigger finger than the more reactionary parts of the fanbase.

On May 31st, 2013 he was OPSing .810. Didn't go below .700 until late August. Among the stellar options to replace him were Chris Dickerson (OPS .666), Henry Urrutia (.586), Mike Morse (3-for-29), and Jason Pridie (.662 for his career).

Because we know Dan can't find a guy.

Not saying Buck should have benched him, but he should have rested him.

It might be easier to send a pitcher to the bullpen than it is to sit your starting RF...but people are talking about money and that's the same. And honestly I don't see how different it is, you still have to replace Jimenez in the starting rotation.

It's not different.

Archived