Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

Is this sarcasm? Buck's ability to have a near bulletproof clubhouse seems, to me, to be his primary strength. And that is due in no small part to his loyalty.

I think it's a huge positive that he's about five times slower on his trigger finger than the more reactionary parts of the fanbase.

I do appreciate that some folks understand this.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That wasn't Buck.

Gibbons had that steroid taint.

Gibbons wasn't the longest tenured O.

He was the second longest tenured O. I'm aware it wasn't Buck, but managers don't have the opportunity to bench underperforming overpaid players every year so I had to go back a few years. He was the most recent that merited it.

Yup that's a real bad deal.

I think it's the market. When the dust settles I think we'll likely see that.

Is there a guy out there that could outproduce for less, probably. But an extra 2-3 million a year isn't going to destroy the franchise and you take a lot of risk off of the table with Markakis. Buck knows what he's going to get from him as a player, leader, and person.

I think it's the market. When the dust settles I think we'll likely see that.

Is there a guy out there that could outproduce for less, probably. But an extra 2-3 million a year isn't going to destroy the franchise and you take a lot of risk off of the table with Markakis. Buck knows what he's going to get from him as a player, leader, and person.

Is it really okay to take a sure bet when you know that guy is a fringe starter who is likely to get worse with age? At least if you go with guys on one year deals you have more flexibility if they don't work out.

He waited kind of long to tell him then

1975 - 482 AB's. .541 OPS

He played again in 1976 and then even opened the 1977 season with the team. It would be amazing if he actually needed someone to tell him he was done.

Brooks had some bad investments and needed the paycheck those last two years.

He knew he was done and so did the team.

Archived