Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

I want to point out that if Markakis is signed for RF we could still have a platoon of Lough and Pearce in LF. That position comes down to Lough/Pearce vs De Aza, and perhaps a little of Cruz.

This is how I see it if just Markakis is resigned:

LF - De Aza (Pearce, Lough)

CF - Jones (Lough, De Aza)

RF - Markakis (Pearce, Lough)

1B - Davis (Pearce)

DH - ???

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But even if you don't think Nick is as bad defensively as others do' date=' you would still admit Lough is a better defender than Markakis, right?[/quote']

I already said that. I also said I don't think Lough makes up enough offensively to cover the gap. Unless your ok with an OF of De Aza, Jones, and Lough. Im not.

I already said that. I also said I don't think Lough makes up enough offensively to cover the gap. Unless your ok with an OF of De Aza, Jones, and Lough. Im not.

I don't like the shape of our corner outfield, regardless of what they do with Markakis. But not having Markakis at least allows them to allocate the money into other areas to try to make up for the lack of production.

But even if you don't think Nick is as bad defensively as others do' date=' you would still admit Lough is a better defender than Markakis, right?[/quote']

Markakis has a stronger arm and doesn't make throwin mistakes like Lough does. Lough is battling Mark Reynolds for most overrated player on the boards. Buck didn't want to play him much after the first couple of months of the season other than 9th inning defensive replacement. he isn't going to play significant time next season.

I don't like the shape of our corner outfield' date=' regardless of what they do with Markakis. But not having Markakis at least allows them to allocate the money into other areas to try to make up for the lack of production.[/quote']

Who is that you think we should use money on?

I tend to agree with wildcard that we could potentially squeeze more production from Nick and the team by resting him. I think the issue is more with Buck not doing it than the theory.

Right. If Nick were at somewhere between 135 to 140 games per season or one game per week off I'd feel better about the chances we get better production out of him.

I don't see Buck doing it though.

Who is that you think we should use money on?

Personally? I wouldn't bring back Markakis or Cruz, and cut ties with Davis and used the money saved to bet big on Yasmani Tomas. That dude is legit and young and would help us more on the money we'd spend on these guys.

I tend to agree with wildcard that we could potentially squeeze more production from Nick and the team by resting him. I think the issue is more with Buck not doing it than the theory.

And you do believe that the person used for those extra 7 games would be superior to Nick?

Personally? I wouldn't bring back Markakis or Cruz, and cut ties with Davis and used the money saved to bet big on Yasmani Tomas. That dude is legit and young and would help us more on the money we'd spend on these guys.

You like rolling it all don't you.

Markakis has a stronger arm and doesn't make throwin mistakes like Lough does. Lough is battling Mark Reynolds for most overrated player on the boards. Buck didn't want to play him much after the first couple of months of the season other than 9th inning defensive replacement. he isn't going to play significant time next season.

Lough has a very nice arm. I don't know where you get that from.

I'd rather go big then bet on low return guys like Markakis. Tomas hits 35 homers next year, and seeing them being hit in a Orioles uniform would be wonderful

Markakis does nothing and it doesn't matter. Thomas does nothing and we are the Diamondbacks.

Archived