Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He had a couple of bad throws early in the year.

I recall a Boston snafu, and I'm sure there are other instances, but he also made plays at 2nd base a few times too.

I can't verify all specifics, but I'm just not that concerned about his d. I figured coaches getting down on him was the result of hitting too many fly balls instead of getting on top of stuff and using his speed.

I recall a Boston snafu, and I'm sure there are other instances, but he also made plays at 2nd base a few times too.

I can't verify all specifics, but I'm just not that concerned about his d. I figured coaches getting down on him was the result of hitting too many fly balls instead of getting on top of stuff and using his speed.

You have to be really careful not to let your first impression of a player have undue influence. Lough didn't hit at all his first 6-8 weeks, and he made a couple of defensive miscues (mixed in with some really stellar plays) early on. He really hit well after June 1, but in very limited at bats because Cruz, Pearce and Young were all ripping the ball. In the end, Lough did enough to get a shot at more playing time in 2015.

Do you have a favorite player Corn?
Corn roots for laundry, which is fine.
Yes, but it's Baltimore Oriole laundry.

I do favor some players over others...to a degree. I mostly root more for the younger guys who have not yet reached their potential.

I just don't bring that into decisions of roster construction.

I rooted for Schoop to do well last season but if he isn't in the organization next year I will only be upset if I feel it was a bad baseball decision.

I most definitely don't have an issue with players changing teams when they hit free agency. I think once a contract is up both parties are free to do as they wish.

I do favor some players over others...to a degree. I mostly root more for the younger guys who have not yet reached their potential.

I just don't bring that into decisions of roster construction.

I rooted for Schoop to do well last season but if he isn't in the organization next year I will only be upset if I feel it was a bad baseball decision.

I most definitely don't have an issue with players changing teams when they hit free agency. I think once a contract is up both parties are free to do as they wish.

I don't have an issue with players changing teams, either. But I do think it's special when a team and a player stay together a long time. Sometimes that proves to be a mistake, I realize.

By the way, I like rooting for the younger players, too. It's fun to watch them learn their craft and get better (when they do).

Dariel Alvarez via Roch and according to Brian Graham.

This isn't to say he'll be a starter in 2015 or ever. However, if we sign Markakis, IMO, he'll be untradeable before the ink is even dry. When we should be gambling on players like Lough and Alvarez, we'll be stuck with a player who isn't a significant upgrade over what these younger, cheaper guys, can give us.

They will probably throw in a no trade clause since he is at 9 years service time already.

Lacking any flexibility and being forced to play Markakis the next 4 years is my biggest issue. Even if the deal was like 4 year/34 mil I wouldn't do it since I don't want to have to play him if there are better options.

2 years at least gives us a little bit more flexibility.

This isn't to say he'll be a starter in 2015 or ever. However, if we sign Markakis, IMO, he'll be untradeable before the ink is even dry. When we should be gambling on players like Lough and Alvarez, we'll be stuck with a player who isn't a significant upgrade over what these younger, cheaper guys, can give us.

I think "gambling" is the correct word. And teams that are World Series contenders don't often like to replace reliable players with younger guys who may be able to do just as good a job. Of course, it depends a bit on just what you assess the odds to be. I'm interested in Alvarez, but not so interested in rushing a guy who's likely going to be another low OBP guy in a low OBP lineup.

Lacking any flexibility and being forced to play Markakis the next 4 years is my biggest issue. Even if the deal was like 4 year/34 mil I wouldn't do it since I don't want to have to play him if there are better options.

2 years at least gives us a little bit more flexibility.

What better options do we have in the system that will be any belp in the next 2-4 years?

I don't like the shape of our corner outfield' date=' regardless of what they do with Markakis. But not having Markakis at least allows them to allocate the money into other areas to try to make up for the lack of production.[/quote']

What areas would you improve on and who would you use that money on?

It's probably not even necessary. They aren't signing him to trade him in the first year of a four-year deal. That would be a heinous act.

I think heinous is a bit of an overstatement.

From my view the idea that it is unnecessary is exactly why they will do it. It effectively costs the team nothing.

Not many. Probably just Alvarez at this point. We already have Lough on the roster. The question is, how much help will Markakis be in the next 2-4 years and is it worth investing 4/40M on? You can't find options outside the organization? Signing Markakis is just a boring, unimaginative move. I'd rather roll the dice on Yazmany Tomas for 6/90. The think is we already have in house options that are potentially just as good or better in Pearce and Lough. We aren't trying to replace Mickey Mantle out there.

I agree with you. I'd rather get Markakis on a 2/20 type deal. But I don't expect the Orioles to gamble on Tomas. He will be a Cub, Red Sox, or Phillie. Teams that can afford the risk. I think the Orioles can afford that, but won't.

Archived