Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

What better options do we have in the system that will be any belp in the next 2-4 years?

There may or may not be any right now, but who can say who would be available to sign for cheap or may develop in the farm system over the next few years? But being committed to Markakis would limit any potential upgrades at RF we could make.

I'm not a big fan of signing average guys for a long time since those are the types of guys you can replace.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No one said anything about rushing Alvarez. He could realistically be ready by OD 2016. We have Lough and Pearce in the meantime. WS contenders may not necessarily replace reliable players with younger players but when the reliable player is up for a 4/40M type of contract, I probably can find a few examples. You're telling me we couldn't have signed a Kelly Johnson type last year instead of giving the 2B job to Schoop?

I have a low opinion of Kelly Johnson, so that's a bad example. But from a purely cultural point of view, there's a difference between (1) keeping a reliable player who have served the organization well and (2) bringing in a veteran and denying a rising young prospect an opportunity. And, I think in fairness, Schoop has way more potential than either Lough or Alvarez. That's my opinion, anyway.

There may or may not be any right now, but who can say who would be available to sign for cheap or may develop in the farm system over the next few years? But being committed to Markakis would limit any potential upgrades at RF we could make.

I'm not a big fan of signing average guys for a long time since those are the types of guys you can replace.

Left field is a glaring hole too. Why can't that cheap signing or player we develop play there. Jones will be nearing the end of his contract by then too. Im sure you will be against extending a 33 yearr old Jones also. RF isn't the only hole right now in the OF.

I think "gambling" is the correct word. And teams that are World Series contenders don't often like to replace reliable players with younger guys who may be able to do just as good a job. Of course, it depends a bit on just what you assess the odds to be. I'm interested in Alvarez, but not so interested in rushing a guy who's likely going to be another low OBP guy in a low OBP lineup.

I like our type of lineup. I think it is the new market efficiency.

Yes, replacing Markakis with these options is a gamble. However, let's be realistic. What can we expect from Markakis? What is the downside if these gambles don't work out? Markakis would be gone. We'd have 10M more in the pot. We'd lose average defense (being generous) in RF and a .700-.750 OPS corner OF, who's probably good for a .270-.290 average with 10-15 homers. His greatest strength is working the count and getting on base. That strength is somewhat dissipated by the fact that he was one of the worst baserunners in the league last year. Stop the insanity!

I think what some were thinking was that Markakis, Cruz and DeAza would be a better way to spend 100 million than Tomas. Now, I think Tomas would be excellent. But that is all the eggs in one basket. Filling one need.

Left field is a glaring hole too. Why can't that cheap signing or player we develop play there. Jones will be nearing the end of his contract by then too. Im sure you will be against extending a 33 yearr old Jones also. RF isn't the only hole right now in the OF.

How is LF a hole? We have the Orioles team leader in rWAR last year playing there. And even if Pearce doesn't have as good of a season, I feel very confident putting him out there every day. To me, he's a better player than Markakis, and he's signed for a few more years too.

And its far too early to discuss our CF options in 2019. We could be playing a guy who is still in high school now.

I just think you can go too far in one direction. Take Nick out of our lineup and replace him with a guy who hits 20 homers but has a sub-.300 OBP, and you've gone too far.

Oh, I disagree with this completely. I'm not convinced you win more that way. Take the names out, I like the increase power over the slap stick. Maybe with that extra power their is speed and more doubles too. Maybe that low OBP player has very productive at bats. Maybe he works the count but has lots of sacrifice flies.

Why? If that player creates just as many runs as Nick, why is it going too far?

Maybe that type of player could create more. And have better range. And I am not against resigning Nick for several reasons. A singles hitter with moderate OBP is not my type of player.

Schoop wasn't supposed to start the year in Baltimore. His performance in ST dictated it. I think the O's were originally prepared to gamble on Flaherty. Of course, they could have rewarded Brian Roberts for years of service by signing him to a 1/4 type of contract last year. Smartly, they moved on. Were you extolling Schoop's potential before last year, or is it only after getting a chance to see him after he got the opportunity?

I've always liked Schoop. I do feel we rushed him a bit, and I probably would have preferred to have him spend a little more time in AAA for both developmental and service time reasons. But BRob was not a reliable alternative.

I've always liked Schoop. I do feel we rushed him a bit, and I probably would have preferred to have him spend a little more time in AAA for both developmental and service time reasons. But BRob was not a reliable alternative.

I agree completely with this.

How is LF a hole? We have the Orioles team leader in rWAR last year playing there. And even if Pearce doesn't have as good of a season, I feel very confident putting him out there every day. To me, he's a better player than Markakis, and he's signed for a few more years too.

And its far too early to discuss our CF options in 2019. We could be playing a guy who is still in high school now.

Your putting stock on one year? And Pearce will be a FA after 2015. IF he comes close to duplicating 2014, he will be looking for a multi year deal. I bring up Jones, because you mentioned Markakis holding back a guy 3 or 4 years from now that we dont even have in the system yet. So it's the same situation.

Archived