Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

Maybe that type of player could create more. And have better range. And I am not against resigning Nick for several reasons. A singles hitter with moderate OBP is not my type of player.

I'd be fine with a singles hitter with good OBP if they also had speed. But a below average running who only takes the extra base 20% of the time? Ick.

Markakis doesn't really have enough power or speed to compliment his skillset anymore.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your putting stock on one year? And Pearce will be a FA after 2015. IF he comes close to duplicating 2014, he will be looking for a multi year deal. I bring up Jones, because you mentioned Markakis holding back a guy 3 or 4 years from now that we dont even have in the system yet. So it's the same situation.

Adam Jones is a top 3-4 CF in baseball and is still in the prime of his career. You wouldn't be able to find someone easily to replace his 4-5 WAR. But an older RF who does 1.5-2 WAR would be easier to replace.

And I'm not saying in 3 or 4 years. He could be holding back someone next year based on who is available to sign or prospects we may be able to trade for. You could even have Alvarez turn a corner and try to force his way onto the team but we wouldn't be able to give him a shot because we have Markakis entrenched at RF.

I'd be fine with a singles hitter with good OBP if they also had speed. But a below average running who only takes the extra base 20% of the time? Ick.

Markakis doesn't really have enough power or speed to compliment his skillset anymore.

The speed is not relevant to me. It's the total bases. Even good base stealers are out some, thus reducing those total bases. Power is really not very available these days. It is an efficiency if you have it inexpensively.

Translator, please. lol

I meant that if Nick is a singles hitter because he is slow, he is as valuable as a fast offensive singles hitter. Offensively. Obviously a faster outfielder is better defensively. Mostly. Total bases are total bases. If a base stealer is at a 70% success rate, they are not ahead of the total bases curve. IS that better?

Adam Jones is a top 3-4 CF in baseball and is still in the prime of his career. You wouldn't be able to find someone easily to replace his 4-5 WAR. But an older RF who does 1.5-2 WAR would be easier to replace.

And I'm not saying in 3 or 4 years. He could be holding back someone next year based on who is available to sign or prospects we may be able to trade for. You could even have Alvarez turn a corner and try to force his way onto the team but we wouldn't be able to give him a shot because we have Markakis entrenched at RF.

Who's available to sign? Who are you trading to get a prospect that is a starter at the mlb level already? Alvarez struggled in AA and you project him to be a starter? To each his own. Agree to disagree. Markakis is easily replaced. I just miss those AS outfields of Bigby, Matos, and Gibbons.

Who's available to sign? Who are you trading to get a prospect that is a starter at the mlb level already? Alvarez struggled in AA and you project him to be a starter? To each his own. Agree to disagree. Markakis is easily replaced. I just miss those AS outfields of Bigby, Matos, and Gibbons.

Bless you for saying this.

I'm not saying its guaranteed we can find someone better. Markakis may end up being the best option we could get for those years. But at the same time, being committed to playing an aging player for 4 years can handicap a franchise since they can't really spend their resources on upgading that position since so much money tied into it already.

Its a lot different signing a big impact player to a long term contract and a average player to a long term contract.

I'm not saying its guaranteed we can find someone better. Markakis may end up being the best option we could get for those years. But at the same time, being committed to playing an aging player for 4 years can handicap a franchise since they can't really spend their resources on upgading that position since so much money tied into it already.

Its a lot different signing a big impact player to a long term contract and a average player to a long term contract.

Id love to have Mike Stanton, but lets be honest, would you rather sign Stanton to a 13/325m deal or Markakis for 4/40? Sure, Stanton will be the better player for half that deal, but then your stuck for the next 7. Not all longterm deals are created equal. Your not getting an impact player these days for 4 year deals.

And to add, I highly doubt giving Nick 40m will handicap the team. Hardy signed a team friendly deal, Davis and Wieters are most likely gone after 2015. Im not confident enough that Machado will stay healthy enough to warrant a longterm deal. Basically, Hardy and Jones are the only longtem commitments.

Alvarez struggled? He had an OPS of .819 at Bowie in 91 games. He was a combined .802 OPS between Bowie and Norfolk. He needs to improve his plate discipline but the guy can hit. He's also 26, so it would be nice to see what he can do with a clear path.

That's not happening with Nick signed to a four year deal.

Alvarez struggled? He had an OPS of .819 at Bowie in 91 games. He was a combined .802 OPS between Bowie and Norfolk. He needs to improve his plate discipline but the guy can hit. He's also 26, so it would be nice to see what he can do with a clear path.

That's not happening with Nick signed to a four year deal.

Not sure struggled is the right term but I am not impressed with an 819 at AA at his age.

For all of those who want to resign Markakis, put your money where your mouth is. Project a platoon of Pearce and Lough in RF and tell us what you would expect.

The only problem with this is that you only get to have one platoon on a team really.And you may need it in left, or at second. Or DH. That is the only downside I see. Defensively that would probably be an upgrade.

For all of those who want to resign Markakis, put your money where your mouth is. Project a platoon of Pearce and Lough in RF and tell us what you would expect.

Who plays LF if Pearce is platooning in RF? Who plays 1B if Manny misses the first month and Davis is at 3B.

Not sure struggled is the right term but I am not impressed with an 819 at AA at his age.

That's what I meant. If he was 20 doing it in AA. But he's 26. I was using age as my key and left that out. My fault for not being more specific. Maybe struggled wasn't fair, but I don't see him being much more than a 4th OF. Hope I'm way off.

Archived