Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

Alvarez struggled? He had an OPS of .819 at Bowie in 91 games. He was a combined .802 OPS between Bowie and Norfolk. He needs to improve his plate discipline but the guy can hit. He's also 26, so it would be nice to see what he can do with a clear path.

That's not happening with Nick signed to a four year deal.

Why not? If Alvarez is so good, cut De Aza and just go with Alvarez. That saves $5m.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't get this thinking. Why can't Lough platoon with Pearce, Young (just saying) platoon with De Aza, and Flaherty platoon with Schoop (again jus saying). Why and how would a platoon in RF prevent you platooning at two other spots. The O's aren't looking to platoon Schoop at 2B against just LHP's anyway.

Who's the DH? That's most likely going to have to be a platoon too if your using Pearce and Young to platoon in the OF.

We have a 4 man bench. catcher (Joseph), infielder (Flaherty), OF (Pearce) with Lough starting, 4th spot (RH hitting OF)

If Pearce is playing RF against a LHP, either De Aza (his splits against LHP's are way overblown!) or a RH hitting OF off he bench.

If Manny misses the 1st month, Pearce plays 1B and Davis plays 3B, Alvarez called up to platoon with Lough in RF.

You guys are having trouble with projecting a platoon of Lough and Pearce. Answering questions with questions is a reluctance to actually answer the question.

It's not a fair question and yes it's hard to answer. I can't answer a question when I basically have one year for each to go by. I don't know who the real Lough and Pearce are.

Interesting argument. Poster shows you that Alvarez didn't struggle in AA and you try to twist it into him arguing that Alvarez should start right away in the majors. LOL

He also said Alvarez is 26. He should be able to put up that up in AA. Im not impressed. Laugh all you want. I twisted nothing. I was responding to another poster saying Markakis could be replaced at some point next year by Alvarez. At 26, its sink or swim.

Why? If that player creates just as many runs as Nick, why is it going too far?

Because I don't think you will. Let's say you replaced Nick with Dayan Viciedo (.231/.281/.405, 21 HR). That doesn't improve the team, it hurts it. Now, if you replaced him with Khris Davis (.244/.299/.457, 22 HR) that would be a better case. But Nick created more runs/game than either one. And on a team that already has a ton of power, I think it's good to have some guys who get on base.

P.S. -- I'm only talking about the power/OBP tradeoff here, not other elements like speed and defense.

Cruz? LaRoche? The O's will most likely sign a hitter. You have lot's of questions. I answer them all. I asked one question and you can't handle it.

Those aren't answers. Those are suggested answers thag may not even be a factor. I answered your question. Not getting baited into a pissing match with you. Go find another poster to try and bump chests with.

Huh? I answered your hypothetical by suggested the O's might resign Cruz or sign LaRoche.

And I answered yours. I have no clue what to expect from Lough/Pearce. I don't think Pearce is what he was in 2014. And Lough couldn't hit his way out of a wet paper bag last year, but was ok in 2013. Who knows. I've said before, I'd rather have Markakis is RF and Lough/Pearce in LF.

Kind of hard to have a conversation with someone who poses tons of questions but can't answer one. Yeah, your answer is "I don't know".

Yeah. Because I don't pretend to know more than I do. Especially when they're are a lot of factors that can influence the originaal question.

Let's see, that's a .655 OPS. Lough and Pearce both have career OPS's way over that. Heck, Pearce's lifetime OPS against his weaker side, RHP's, is way over that. Lough even against his weaker side is .620. Your guess is based on a worst case scenario that you dreamed up. It's possible but it is not a reasonable guess.

HaHa. If it's possible, how is it not reasonable? I answered your question. And until the scenerio plays out, neither can claim to be right or wrong. What's your prediction? Answer your own question now.

Regarding Alvarez, there is a decent article providing insight from Graham ( director of player development) on the player...

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2014/11/graham-on-alvarez-he-could-help-in-the-big-leagues-next-year.html

"You're looking at a guy who plays above-average defense, throws above average, runs average and can swing the bat with some pop. There are some things he needs to get better at: command of the strike zone, getting a good pitch to hit. He doesn't walk very much, but when he makes contact he gets on base and does a lot of positive things."

Alvarez, who turned 26 in November, is widely regarded as possessing the strongest arm in the organization, but it's his offensive development that excites the organization.*

"He's got a great arm," Graham said, "but the ball also comes off his bat real well, which would come into play a lot more than his arm would, his ability to hit."

He's not ready, I guess, but I'm encouraged - even if it's cautious optimism.

Archived