Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't get this thinking. Why can't Lough platoon with Pearce, Young (just saying) platoon with De Aza, and Flaherty platoon with Schoop (again jus saying). Why and how would a platoon in RF prevent you platooning at two other spots. The O's aren't looking to platoon Schoop at 2B against just LHP's anyway.

That's how the Rays have been operating. Ben Zobrist, Matthew Joyce, Sean Rodriguez, Kelly Johnson, Luke Scott, Jeff Keppinger, Sam Fuld... and so on, platooning all over the place. Perhaps instead of thinking of it as a set of straight platoons, think of it as positional flexibility.

That's how the Rays have been operating. Ben Zobrist, Matthew Joyce, Sean Rodriguez, Kelly Johnson, Luke Scott, Jeff Keppinger, Sam Fuld... and so on, platooning all over the place. Perhaps instead of thinking of it as a set of straight platoons, think of it as positional flexibility.

And their offenses are usually mid to back of the pack. If not for the great pitching, they would not have had the success they did in previous years.

What did I ignore? Answer my own question. If you meant the Lough/Pearce platoon. I think Lough by himself would OPS around .700. Over a full season I'd expect 8-12 homers, a .280 ish average. Slash line of 320/380. Pearce by himself, I'd expect 15-25 home runs, a .270 average, and a slash line of .350/.450. As a platoon, I'll go with a combined slash line of .330/.400 if Lough is getting all of the AB's against RHP.

I just don't believe that we could utilize more than one straight platoon.

What did I ignore? Answer my own question. If you meant the Lough/Pearce platoon. I think Lough by himself would OPS around .700. Over a full season I'd expect 8-12 homers, a .280 ish average. Slash line of 320/380. Pearce by himself, I'd expect 15-25 home runs, a .270 average, and a slash line of .350/.450. As a platoon, I'll go with a combined slash line of .330/.400 if Lough is getting all of the AB's against RHP.

I think those are being very optimistic. All I can say is I hope your right.

Lough is a better player than some give him credit for. He started out with that concussion syndrome. After that he seemed to get better.

And Pearce once again had the wrist issues pop up that have plagued him for consecutive seasons. I'm not sold on either yet. Im not even sold on Machado until he proves he can stay healthy.

Archived