Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

And DD has proven he doesn't let sentiments factor into his decision making. So, if he's negotiating with Markakis, he obviously feels Nick has value to the team. We just don't know aat what price yet.

Right, it just seems odd to advocate DD making decisions based on "player legacy." That seems like a recipe for a disaster for most teams.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not comparing the two as players, but Cal would have never finished his career an Orioles if not for "legacy".

Cal's 500 at bats of replacement level value wasn't on a team that was a playoff contender.

You can afford to do non-competitive things when the team is bad and trying to sell tickets.

Not comparing the two as players, but Cal would have never finished his career an Orioles if not for "legacy".

And Cal in today's game might not even stay an Oriole long enough to even get to the point where he should be given a legacy contract. So that seems kind of irrelevant. But if you want to say that maybe a club treats a once and a life time player differently than other players, I guess I could probably accept that, although the O's having the highest payroll in baseball again would make having a Ripken on the team a lot easier. We no longer have that luxury.

And Cal in today's game might not even stay an Oriole long enough to even get to the point where he should be given a legacy contract. So that seems kind of irrelevant. But if you want to say that maybe a club treats a once and a life time player differently than other players' date=' I guess I could probably accept that, although the O's having the highest payroll in baseball again would make having a Ripken on the team a lot easier. We no longer have that luxury.[/quote']

The Yankees sacrificed two seasons to keep Jetering.

And Cal in today's game might not even stay an Oriole long enough to even get to the point where he should be given a legacy contract. So that seems kind of irrelevant. But if you want to say that maybe a club treats a once and a life time player differently than other players' date=' I guess I could probably accept that, although the O's having the highest payroll in baseball again would make having a Ripken on the team a lot easier. We no longer have that luxury.[/quote']

Higher attendance and playoff revenue 2/3 seasons should make bringing Markakis back less damaging money-wise also. If the Orioles bring back Markakis for 3/30, thats about the going rate for a player of his caliber.

Try comparing them as revenue sources. From the strike through the late '90s, nationwide, Cal memorabilia was the 2nd most collected in all of MLB, behind only Bonds. The night he passed Gehrig in consecutive games played, OPACY vendors sold more merchandise than in the rest of the year combined. The countdown to Cal's final game produced millions of dollars.

Nick doesn't have nearly the financial impact on the team and its vendors that Cal had.

And oddly enough the O's have made the playoffs 2/3 years with Nick Markakis playing RF. And Billy Beane is overrated imo.

I would agree that it appears Oakland's drafting and player development has fallen some under Beane the last few years, but how is he overrated? The man has basically had Oakland in the playoffs every other year during his reign, well spending no money to do it. Do you think there is something else in Oakland that is responsible for that? If Oakland is doing that every year despite Beane, what is the real reason? Because I'm not seeing it.

Higher attendance and playoff revenue 2/3 seasons should make bringing Markakis back less damaging money-wise also. If the Orioles bring back Markakis for 3/30, thats about the going rate for a player of his caliber.

But so what? It doesn't make it a good move, it just means the Orioles might suffer less for the mistake. That doesn't justify it though.

Archived