Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But his mere presence was worth more (financially) than his salary. Nick doesn't have that kind of cache. And that's the point; teams don't keep guys like Nick around for their "legacy" because his legacy isn't worth much. Cal is not a good comp. Gary Roenicke would be a better comp.

I chose Cal because I wasn't old enough to have seen Roenicke play.

In order to understand what is happening with Markakis I think its good to step back and look at the whole O's picture.

Dan and Buck had a 96 win regular season and went all the way to the AL Championship Series. Their goal is to win the World Series and 2015 looks like a great year to do that.

They are trying to bring as much of the 96 win team back as possible. That includes Markakis and Cruz. The only thing they will lose is probably 20 innings of Miller, Matusz if they replace him, Hundley who is replaced by Wieters and Delmon Young.

The improvement comes from full years of Wieters, Manny and Davis plus the improvement of a non pitch count limited Gausman. Buck and Dan have stated their focus on these players already this off season.

So Markakis is just one piece of the puzzle. If he hits for 730 OPS and plays the same defense he did last year they are fine with that. His defense fits fine in Camden next to Jones. Offering the four year contract is a way to keep his annual price down and it also scares the other teams away that might want Nick on a 2 or 3 year deal away. Its part of the plan to go hard for a World Series win in 2015.

Remember 1982 and 1983. The O's almost won in '82. They brought almost the whole team back in '83 (expect Earl) and won. I see what Dan and Buck are doing as similar. They see three All-Star players that had down years with Wieters, Manny and Davis plus a #1 high ceiling draft choice in Gausman that is developing and they are trying keep the rest of the team together to let the combination put them over the top.

I think Dan and Buck know they have 50m in salaries going to free agency next off season and are willing to spend now to keep the team together for a World Series run.

And we won't even have the ability to trade Markakis if he becomes the team's new Ubaldo' date=' which he would be the most likely candidate to do that if you were taking bets.[/quote']

Ubaldo wasn't as bad as his stats imo. I think he bounces back. I think Nick does the same. Its not like he's 34 years old. Im a Nick fan, and I want him back. Fortunately as a fan, I can think with my heart. And I don't want to see Nick in any other uniform.

I think Dan and Buck know they have 50m in salaries going to free agency next off season and are willing to spend now to keep the team together for a World Series run.

What makes what the Orioles do any more likely than what the Tigers, Angels, and Cardinals might do? A run at the World Series? Doesn't that start after you make the playoffs?

It's just silly to bring Cal into the discussion. You save that for the rare instances where a Cal or a Jeter comes along. Those are once in a lifetime players. As a general rule' date=' I like the idea that are scouts are probably skeptical about one armed baseball players, even if there might be a Jim Abbott that comes along. For the most part, no organization should think with their heart and worry about player legacies. You do that, if you are going to do that, when that type of player comes along. And even then, you better have the payroll to do it, like the Yankees do.[/quote']

I didn't.

Ubaldo wasn't as bad as his stats imo. I think he bounces back. I think Nick does the same. Its not like he's 34 years old. Im a Nick fan, and I want him back. Fortunately as a fan, I can think with my heart. And I don't want to see Nick in any other uniform.

Bounce back to what the 2010 version?

Looking at his stats it looks to me like 2012 was his bounce back year.

Archived