Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

I guess I am wondering who you plan to have playing RF if its not Nick at say 3/24

Not sure your going to find any value on the FA market that's substantially better than that.

The idea of Lough starting in RF is enough to give me bleeding ulcer, De Aza I can see but this team needs guys who can get on base and Nick does that significantly better than either those two

What's your problem with Lough? He started the year cold? You one of those guys that value run production over run prevention?

Nick isn't Nick anymore. He's a singles hitter that gets on base a bit more then average.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also find irony in the fact that predictably every game thread is inundated with whining about how we never take pitches, can't walk, can't guys on base for the boppers and yet people seem so eager to run one of the few guys who can do that stuff out of town ...

I also find irony in the fact that predictably every game thread is inundated with whining about how we never take pitches, can't walk, can't guys on base for the boppers and yet people seem so eager to run one of the few guys who can do that stuff out of town ...

What does not wanting to overpay him for too many years have to do with running him out of town?

I've done a 180 on P/PA.

I guess I am wondering who you plan to have playing RF if its not Nick at say 3/24

Not sure your going to find any value on the FA market that's substantially better than that.

The idea of Lough starting in RF is enough to give me bleeding ulcer, De Aza I can see but this team needs guys who can get on base and Nick does that significantly better than either those two

Pearce in RF. De Aza in LF. Lough as 4th OF. Cruz, Butler, LaRoche, Morales, or Ike Davis at DH.

Or sign Nori Aoki for RF and let Pearce DH.

I think most people acknowledge that this is what the thinking probably is' date=' people just oppose it. Hence the Phillies comparison. That's the thinking that got them into their mess.

I think the uncertain future is exactly why the O's need to pass on Markakis. In the short term, I think he is average, and a combination of the outfielders we have right now would come close to replacing him production, if not surpass it. In the long term, there doesn't appear to be many big time players coming up. Which is why payroll flexibility is going to be so important. Having a player who is about average, who you are basically paying the exact price to be about average, who is going to be taking up about a 1/10 of the payroll, and who you can't trade, isn't going to be a great asset. He is, at best, going to be somebody who doesn't hurt you too much.[/quote']

You think that most people acknowledge that DD and Buck are trying to keep the team together for a World Series run.

I acknowledge that there are a lot of people that think the money that may be spent of Markakis could be better spent elsewhere.

Now lets look at what Dan does.

1) He trade one of his three best pitching prospects (Ed Rod) for 20 innings of Miller because he thinks it gives him a better chance at winning the WS.

2) He trades a prospect for KRod who then go free agent.

3) He trades prospects for Norris which is trading the future for a better present.

4) He trades for Feldman and lets him go FA.

5) He signs Ubaldo for a first round draft choice.

6) he signs Cruz for a 2nd round draft choice.

There are more but the trend is clear. Not every move works out but DD is always trying to win now. And the closer he gets to winning it all the more he puts on the line.

You can believe that signing Markakis for four years is the wrong move but I think we have acknowledge that the guy that just won 96 games is trying to put together the team to win it all and he is making good progress.

I don't know how. Do you see Buck changing his pattern of playing time in regards to Nick? If not, then even at a reasonable amount of AAV it makes me nervous for more than two years.

I wouldn't be shocked if he tried to run Pearce out there for 160 games.

If Schoop hits adequately I expect him to play 160.

What's your problem with Lough? He started the year cold? You one of those guys that value run production over run prevention?

Nick isn't Nick anymore. He's a singles hitter that gets on base a bit more then average.

My problem with the guy is that he has a career OBP of .308 and I see nothing at all that suggests it will be much higher than that.

I got no problem with Lough in a role his talent dictates. Backup speedy defensive replacement who can give days off. Markakis has had one just one year with an OBP of less than .330

This team needs guys who can get on base, Nick has shown that ability with great consistency. Is he as good at as he once was ...no. Will he be able to do so for a couple more years, I suspect the answer is yes.

I would almost be willing to bet my house that Nick will put up a OBP of >.335 for the next several years. Lough as a full time starter might peak at that if we get lucky in a few years. Watch their approaches at the plate. Its a night and day difference.

My problem with the guy is that he has a career OBP of .308 and I see nothing at all that suggests it will be much higher than that.

I got no problem with Lough in a role his talent dictates. Backup speedy defensive replacement who can give days off. Markakis has had one just one year with an OBP of less than .330

This team needs guys who can get on base, Nick has shown that ability with great consistency. Is he as good at as he once was ...no. Will he be able to do so for a couple more years, I suspect the answer is yes.

I would almost be willing to bet my house that Nick will put up a OBP of >.335 for the next several years. Lough as a full time starter might peak at that if we get lucky in a few years. Watch their approaches at the plate. Its a night and day difference.

So were you a member of the upset brigade when the O's dumped Nolan?

Nolan has a great approach at the plate.

So does Mark Reynolds, should they bring him back?

You think that most people acknowledge that DD and Buck are trying to keep the team together for a World Series run.

I acknowledge that there are a lot of people that think the money that may be spent of Markakis could be better spent elsewhere.

Now lets look at what Dan does.

1) He trade one of his three best pitching prospects (Ed Rod) for 20 innings of Miller because he thinks it gives him a better chance at winning the WS.

2) He trades a prospect for KRod who then go free agent.

3) He trades prospects for Norris which is trading the future for a better present.

4) He trades for Feldman and lets him go FA.

5) He signs Ubaldo for a first round draft choice.

6) he signs Cruz for a 2nd round draft choice.

There are more but the trend is clear. Not every move works out but DD is always trying to win now. And the closer he gets to winning it all the more he puts on the line.

You can believe that signing Markakis for four years is the wrong move but I think we have acknowledge that the guy that just won 96 games is trying to put together the team to win it all and he is making good progress.

I think it's arguable as to whether signing Markakis to a four year deal is the best way to "win it now".

So were you a member of the upset brigade when the O's dumped Nolan?

Nolan has a great approach at the plate.

So does Mark Reynolds, should they bring him back?

Your comparing apples to oranges.

I was not upset to see Nolan go, the guy was never on the field.

Mark Reynolds struck out more than I do at the local pub :)

Lough has potential but I want a team that can win a world series. There is a certainty to what Nick brings to the table. He wont slug a bunch of home runs but he will take pitches, get on base even its just singles and walks and that has value for a team that has guys coming up after him that can drive the ball. Lough is major major question mark. Assuming he will do what he did in the second half is as misguided as assuming that Nick will bounce back and put up the same numbers he did the first 1/3 of the season last year over a whole year.

You cant pick and choose what part of a guys season matters IMO. Is the totality that matters, Lough has shown himself to date able to get on base at .308 clip. That's not good enough to be a starter, probably not good enough to be platoon guy either IMO. Nick has shown himself to be able to consistently get on at a clip above .330...that matters. I don't really care about the money, its not mine. I want the guys on the field who are going to give this team that is poised to run deep in the post season IMO next year the best shot at getting to and winning a world series. Nick does that in spades more than Lough.

Archived