Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

Your comparing apples to oranges.

I was not upset to see Nolan go, the guy was never on the field.

Mark Reynolds struck out more than I do at the local pub :)

Lough has potential but I want a team that can win a world series. There is a certainty to what Nick brings to the table. He wont slug a bunch of home runs but he will take pitches, get on base even its just singles and walks and that has value for a team that has guys coming up after him that can drive the ball. Lough is major major question mark. Assuming he will do what he did in the second half is as misguided as assuming that Nick will bounce back and put up the same numbers he did the first 1/3 of the season last year over a whole year.

You cant pick and choose what part of a guys season matters IMO. Is the totality that matters, Lough has shown himself to date able to get on base at .308 clip. That's not good enough to be a starter, probably not good enough to be platoon guy either IMO. Nick has shown himself to be able to consistently get on at a clip above .330...that matters. I don't really care about the money, its not mine. I want the guys on the field who are going to give this team that is poised to run deep in the post season IMO next year the best shot at getting to and winning a world series. Nick does that in spades more than Lough.

What does striking out have to do with having a great approach?

If Lough's 308 OBP is a problem what about Schoop? Hardy is at 312 for his career, should the O's replace him? Jones was at 311 last year, should we trade him?

If a 308 OBP is a problem for you the O's must be a hard team for you to watch.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your comparing apples to oranges.

I was not upset to see Nolan go, the guy was never on the field.

Mark Reynolds struck out more than I do at the local pub :)

Lough has potential but I want a team that can win a world series. There is a certainty to what Nick brings to the table. He wont slug a bunch of home runs but he will take pitches, get on base even its just singles and walks and that has value for a team that has guys coming up after him that can drive the ball. Lough is major major question mark. Assuming he will do what he did in the second half is as misguided as assuming that Nick will bounce back and put up the same numbers he did the first 1/3 of the season last year over a whole year.

You cant pick and choose what part of a guys season matters IMO. Is the totality that matters, Lough has shown himself to date able to get on base at .308 clip. That's not good enough to be a starter, probably not good enough to be platoon guy either IMO. Nick has shown himself to be able to consistently get on at a clip above .330...that matters. I don't really care about the money, its not mine. I want the guys on the field who are going to give this team that is poised to run deep in the post season IMO next year the best shot at getting to and winning a world series. Nick does that in spades more than Lough.

And when Lough does manage to get on base, he's not a good enough baserunner to utilize it. He's a little better version of Dyson, but without the ability to steal bases.

What does striking out have to do with having a great approach?

If Lough's 308 OBP is a problem what about Schoop? Hardy is at 312 for his career, should the O's replace him? Jones was at 311 last year, should we trade him?

If a 308 OBP is a problem for you the O's must be a hard team for you to watch.

Do folks really think Nick would improve if he rests 10 games a season?

What makes what the Orioles do any more likely than what the Tigers, Angels, and Cardinals might do? A run at the World Series? Doesn't that start after you make the playoffs?

I was just saying look at the whole O's picture to get a better perspective on Nick.

This is a whole different thread but in short hand:

If the O's sign Nick and Nelson they are the favors to win the East. Every other team in the division has more question marks.

The Tigers will lose Scherzer and Hunter and have their hands full trying to beat the Royals.

The Angels have a good team but need more starting pitching with Skaggs out for the season and Richards probably missing some time coming off knee surgery. Its asking a lot for Tropeano to fill those shoes. The Angels are close to the luxury tax line that the owner will not go over which is leading to exploring trading Kendrick or Freese. Just have to watch how this all plays out.

NL is to complex to address at this point.

Not sure why you quoted my scathing post about OBP but...

I think Nick's triple slash numbers would be a bit higher if he played 150 games. I don't think you would see a significant jump.

I don't think that we are failing because our model is not high OBP either.

I was just saying look at the whole O's picture to get a better perspective on Nick.

This is a whole different thread but in short hand:

If the O's sign Nick and Nelson they are the favors to win the East. Every other team in the division has more question marks.

The Tigers will lose Scherzer and Hunter and have their hands full trying to beat the Royals.

The Angels have a good team but need more starting pitching with Skaggs out for the season and Richards probably missing some time coming off knee surgery. Its asking a lot for Tropeano to fill those shoes. The Angels are close to the luxury tax line that the owner will not go over which is leading to exploring trading Kendrick or Freese. Just have to watch how this all plays out.

NL is to complex to address at this point.

So why not just pick up his option?

Archived