Why No QO to Markakis?

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm surprised Cuddyer didn't accept and even more surprised that the Mets signed him AND gave up the pick. That contract, without the pick, would have made sense for the O's as a DH. Playing RF or LF for the Mets, giving up a pick, and playing in that park. Another mistake by the Mets.

That being said, did I miss something. The O's were afraid Markakis would have accepted. His market is not what you guys think it is.

Interesting that the Mets jumped all over Cuddyer when Markakis is the better defender and has no pick attached.

They must be after something a bit more powerful.

The O's were afraid Markakis would have accepted.

Too much so imo.

His market is not what you guys think it is.

We shall see where he ends up. but even if the reports of us 3/30 low balling are true, 30 mil is twice as much as 15 mil and players are looking at that total outlay (i.e. Cuddyer).

Interesting that the Mets jumped all over Cuddyer when Markakis is the better defender and has no pick attached

The Mets were in the market for a RH power hitter. I thought it would be Cruz myself.

I believe that all free agents should be qualified. Always.

BRob last year? McLouth?

Obviously you do not QO all free agents. You QO the ones who you you'd be satisfied keeping if they accepted, and the ones you're sure will turn it down. And while its' true that nobody has accepted a QO yet, that's because the teams are pretty savvy at deciding who will get one. Only 12 players got them, out of maybe 100 FA's. There are plenty of players who would take one if offered; most would, I'm sure.

I read the report about the "lowball offer" but I didn't see a number attached. Did you read that we offered 3/30 or are you assuming it was 3/30?

I'm assuming we would not offer him lower than 3/30. Not a magical number or anything. I think I saw it kicking around somewhere and it makes sense to me.

BRob last year? McLouth?

Obviously you do not QO all free agents. You QO the ones who you you'd be satisfied keeping if they accepted, and the ones you're sure will turn it down. And while its' true that nobody has accepted a QO yet, that's because the teams are pretty savvy at deciding who will get one. Only 12 players got them, out of maybe 100 FA's. There are plenty of players who would take one if offered; most would, I'm sure.

My Hyperbole is showing.

Personally, I think Markakis is out of touch if he turns down a 3/30 offer from the O's. I was hoping it was even lower.

He will get more than 3/30. He is as good as gone. I see zero chance of the O's signing him now. If they wanted to they would have done it already.

I'm surprised Cuddyer didn't accept and even more surprised that the Mets signed him AND gave up the pick. That contract, without the pick, would have made sense for the O's as a DH. Playing RF or LF for the Mets, giving up a pick, and playing in that park. Another mistake by the Mets.

That being said, did I miss something. The O's were afraid Markakis would have accepted. His market is not what you guys think it is.

Interesting that the Mets jumped all over Cuddyer when Markakis is the better defender and has no pick attached.

Markakis would come at a longer contract and possibly higher AAV. If they wanted a little freedom long term this helps that cause.

Btw this makes more sense for the Mets if they will sign another player with draft pick forfeiture.

Archived