Why No QO to Markakis?

Bahama O's Fan

I keep seeing articles and people commenting saying Nick should get a 4 yr/ 48 million deal and stuff like that. 10-12 mill a year? Seriously? I don't know how you can be a fan and think that's a smart idea for the team. I think Brob was around the same age when he got his 4 yr/40 million deal, and he was WAY more valuable to the team after the 2009 season than Nick is now. Why would we give him more money than Brob and 4 years? Have we not learned anything? The longer this goes, I'm thinking if we go more than 3/30 we are walking into a bad contract

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I keep seeing articles and people commenting saying Nick should get a 4 yr/ 48 million deal and stuff like that. 10-12 mill a year? Seriously? I don't know how you can be a fan and think that's a smart idea for the team. I think Brob was around the same age when he got his 4 yr/40 million deal, and he was WAY more valuable to the team after the 2009 season than Nick is now. Why would we give him more money than Brob and 4 years? Have we not learned anything? The longer this goes, I'm thinking if we go more than 3/30 we are walking into a bad contract

You don't think salaries have gone way up in the last 6 years? Markakis will get more than 12 million a year.

Well if you're right I hope it's not from the Orioles. And even if salaries have gone up, he still isn't worth it IMO.

Players get paid more than they are worth in free agency. And there are less quality free agents available these days as more teams sign their guys to long term extensions before they hit free agency.

When BRob got 4/40 he had never earned more than $8 million a year. That was his frame of reference. In other words he got a 25% pay raise. Nick has just come off two straight years at $15 million per. That's his current frame of reference. If he were to sign for 3/30 as some are suggesting (Brob's AAV) that would be a 33% pay cut. Hard to swallow if you're only 31 and it's coming from the only team you've ever played for.

Players get paid more than they are worth in free agency. And there are less quality free agents available these days as more teams sign their guys to long term extensions before they hit free agency.

Yeah, I realize teams overpay all the time. Pujols, Hamilton, Howard, Fielder etc. I'm just saying I hope it's not the Orioles who overpay for him.

When BRob got 4/40 he had never earned more than $8 million a year. That was his frame of reference. In other words he got a 25% pay raise. Nick has just come off two straight years at $15 million per. That's his current frame of reference. If he were to sign for 3/30 as some are suggesting (Brob's AAV) that would be a 33% pay cut. Hard to swallow if you're only 31 and it's coming from the only team you've ever played for.

Hey that's maybe the case, but if wants to get the big FA money, he's gotta put up the numbers. If he hit 20 hrs and drove in 85 rbi the past 2 seasons things would be different for him. He's not increasing his production, it's declining, and so should his pay. I get what you're saying though in him making $15 as a difference to Roberts $8 million prior to their extensions though.

Yeah, I realize teams overpay all the time. Pujols, Hamilton, Howard, Fielder etc. I'm just saying I hope it's not the Orioles who overpay for him.

Why do you care how much they pay Markakis? It isn't your money. If they pay him three million more a year than you think he is worth how is that going to effect you in any way? There is no salary cap in baseball? And Markakis isn't going to get a contract like the guys you mentioned.

Why do you care how much they pay Markakis? It isn't your money. If they pay him three million more a year than you think he is worth how is that going to effect you in any way? There is no salary cap in baseball? And Markakis isn't going to get a contract like the guys you mentioned.

There may not be a salary cap but every team has a budget and three million spent on nick isn't spent somewhere else.

If you think I was saying Markakis was in the position to get those kinds of contracts you missed the whole point. The other guys spelled it out pretty clearly why it's important not to overspend when you are on a budget

Almost wonder if Nick's agent played Duquette. Act like you are about to sign, so you don't get a QO, and then stall after the fact to see what real market value is. They keep saying Nick might take a QO, but at his age, this could be his last big contract year. I don't think you take the QO, and hope you come out better next year.

At the end of the day, I think the most likely scenario is still that Nick signs with the O's for a bit less than he could have gotten somewhere else. If that doesn't happen, it will be because the gap between what the Orioles are willing to pay and what Nick could earn on the open market is huge. I doubt that will be the case.

Archived