Carlos Gonzalez - Possible Markakis Replacement?

gmelson26

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One down year because of an injury won't get Gonzalez for B prospects. They could just wait and see since he's signed for 3 years. It would take Gausman, Bundy/Harvey, and Cisco to get them to listen. Much rather go for a guy like Fowler for 1 year. Probably get him for a De Aza and MacFarland and a guy like Wright.

And Col was crazy to offer Cuddyer a QO. He was probably only going to get a one or two year deal at probably 7/8m per at most. He'd be a fool to not take it.

One down year because of an injury won't get Gonzalez for B prospects. They could just wait and see since he's signed for 3 years. It would take Gausman, Bundy/Harvey, and Cisco to get them to listen. Much rather go for a guy like Fowler for 1 year. Probably get him for a De Aza and MacFarland and a guy like Wright.

And Col was crazy to offer Cuddyer a QO. He was probably only going to get a one or two year deal at probably 7/8m per at most. He'd be a fool to not take it.

He is a lot of money. There is a reason they would rather have Michael Cuddyer than him also. Not sure what.

I do agree. You could get him for DeAza, McFarland, and Wright. Or Matusz and Hunter and Walker.

Lol yeah.. yeah we haven't seen one yet. I think if a QO is ever going to be accepted, Cuddyer is the guy to take it this year.

I am surprised nobody is talking about Liriano. With his inconsistency I dont see anyone going for a long term deal. He only made $6m last year. $15m would be a lot to turn down and he could hit the market again next year.

I am surprised nobody is talking about Liriano. With his inconsistency I dont see anyone going for a long term deal. He only made $6m last year. $15m would be a lot to turn down and he could hit the market again next year.

He's a lefty and his overall stats are better then I thought they would be.

I said I think he will have to wait for the market to get to him but I do suspect he will get a multi-year deal.

I think you are way off on Cargo's value. He has been considered an elite player for a number of years. However, he has had only one great full year and that was in 2010. In the past Cargo was considered a 5 tool player. However, he has had a lot of knee problems the last couple of years. Cargo had knee surgury in August and I would be surprised if he is the runner and fielder he has been in the past.

i don't think it will take multiple top prospects to acquire Cargo. However, given the Coors factor, his salary ($53 million over the next three years), his inability to stay healthy (never played more than 145 games in a year and averaged 117 gamees over the last five years), coming off a bad year and the possibiilty that the knee injury is chronic, I think the Orioles would be better off letting someone else take the chance on him. I think he is an old 29.

Carlos Gonzales is an interesting option. I just think it's unrealistic.

1. Buck's love for Markakis.

2. Related to 1, Adam Jones' love for Markakis and the unwillingness of DD to upset the clubhouse.

3. It's not DD's style to take on that much contract. If we replace Markakis, it will be with someone who is way cheaper.

I like the OP's thinking. I have advocated trading Wieters for one of the surplus outfielders on the Dodgers. But I just think all of that is unrealistic.

Buck likes our guys. We've made the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years. We won 96 games. I don't see much changing this offseason.

Markakis is coming back. Davis is coming back. The only question is Cruz.

Sometimes I wonder why the only two possibilities for any trade seem to be a) a collection of guys worth almost nothing, or b) Our top 3-4 prospects. Not to specifically pick on you, but there's about 10 light years between a Tommy Hunter package and Gausman+Harvey+Cisco.

He's basically a league average hitter outside of Coors. I'm not giving up a ton for him.

A lot of folks who've played at Coors had extreme splits there, didn't look great on the road, but then after leaving the Rockies produced at an overall level above what their old road numbers would have suggested. It seems like they make adjustments to optimize their hitting at altitude which hurt their hitting away from Coors, but once they leave Colorado altogether they adjust to a more normal context. In other words Gonzalez might settle in somewhere north of his currently so-so road splits.

A lot of folks who've played at Coors had extreme splits there, didn't look great on the road, but then after leaving the Rockies produced at an overall level above what their old road numbers would have suggested. It seems like they make adjustments to optimize their hitting at altitude which hurt their hitting away from Coors, but once they leave Colorado altogether they adjust to a more normal context. In other words Gonzalez might settle in somewhere north of his currently so-so road splits.

More broadly, as a general rule, MLB teams (and thus MLB players) hit better at home than they do on the road. In 2014 20 out of 30 teams had better slugging percentages at home than on the road and 23 teams had better OBP at home than on the road.

Last year the mean team home SLG percentage was .3935 while the mean team road slugging percentage was .379. You might assume that is biased by the Rockies having a huge home/road split but the median SLG percentage was .3945 at home and .3795 on the road. The OBP median is .317 vs .306.

The Padres OBP/SLG at home was .299/.348 which was last in the league. Not surprising since they play in one of the biggest pitchers parks and are not a very good team. But their OBP/SLG on the road was .285/.336.

It isn't as simple as looking at a player's road splits and assuming that is what he would do in a neutral environment because there is a real home field advantage in a neutral home field.

Archived