Nick Markakis wins Gold Glove

Greg

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess some people consider a role player and a platoon player the same thing. I don't. For me, the guys on the bench like Lough and Flaherty are role players. I think McLouth was more than that. I think there is a good chance that Lough can be more than that. Of course, I thought the same about Flaherty and looks like I was wrong. However, Lough has a much better resume in the minors and majors than Flaherty has.

I agree with what you said here. All of it.

Yes, I chuckled.

Did you watch the Royal's outfield defense the last couple of years?

They are pretty clearly superior to the O's players (or anyone else for that matter).

I guess some people consider a role player and a platoon player the same thing. I don't. For me, the guys on the bench like Lough and Flaherty are role players. I think McLouth was more than that. I think there is a good chance that Lough can be more than that. Of course, I thought the same about Flaherty and looks like I was wrong. However, Lough has a much better resume in the minors and majors than Flaherty has.

I can't believe I am going to defend Flaherty, who let's just say is not a favorite of mine, but he was a rule 5 pick who clearly was not ready to be in the Majors. He then should have been sent back down after that first year for more development, but if memory serves, that was when another BRob injury forced him into duty again. Then when BRob came back he was again relegated to bench duty. Flaherty, for all my complaining about him, never got the needed Minor League development that may have made him a better offensive player.

I can't believe I am going to defend Flaherty, who let's just say is not a favorite of mine, but he was a rule 5 pick who clearly was not ready to be in the Majors. He then should have been sent back down after that first year for more development, but if memory serves, that was when another BRob injury forced him into duty again. Then when BRob came back he was again relegated to bench duty. Flaherty, for all my complaining about him, never got the needed Minor League development that may have made him a better offensive player.

If Flaherty was going to develop more in the minors he was going to have to do it at an age where most guys aren't even considered prospects any more. He turned 25 in July of 2011, and that was about the same time he got his first promotion to AAA. Rule 5 saga or no, there aren't too many guys who hit .237/.277/.399 for Iowa in the PCL at 25 and then go on to a good major league career. Flaherty was a '11 teammate of both Scott Moore and Lou Montanez and was clearly out-hit by each of them.

Why did you quote me Dip?

For once I wasn't criticizing Flaherty.

Heck I didn't even say a Royals defender deserved to win over Markakis. I just thought it amusing that KC had the better overall outfield defense and yet the O's won two gold gloves.

Not sure how that happened CoC. I quoted the guy who responded to you, and it pulled your quote in to.

Clearly the solution is to scale Gold Gloves by size with a first baseman's Gold Glove the size of a thimble and a shortstop's Gold Glove the size of a Prius. They tried to remedy this with the Platinum Glove. I expect 75 plus percent Platinum Gloves over time to go to shortstops.

Shortstops were 0-2 this year as a catcher (Molina) and a corner outfielder (Gordon) win.

Overall in the four year history of the award a shortstop has won once.

They have a lot of catching up to do.

Pretty funny stuff. Nate McLouth did a pretty good impersonation of an everyday player in 2013 when he played 146 games and put up a .727 OPS. Health has been a big problem for him.

Just for the record, is Steve Pearce starting material or simply a role player on next year's team?

McLouth never hit lefties well. He just was our only option at one point. I don't know. I guess you have to give Pearce the shot.

Archived