Trade Ubaldo please

steva84

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe Ubaldo could out pitch Gonzalez next year.

Right now, Jimenez is the quintessential wildcard.

I believe that he is quite capable of out-pitching ALL of the Orioles starters in 2015 (including Tillman), and at the same time, I would not be surprised to see him pitching to the tune of an E.R.A. above 5.00 by early June.

I'm hoping that he follows suit to what bud Norris did in his first 2 seasons as an Oriole:

Norris as an Oriole in 2013:1 4-3, 114.80 ERA, 11.678 WHIP

Norris as an Oriole in 2014:1 15-8, 13.65 ERA, 11.216 WHIP

Also, before the 2014 started (February), Norris gave an interview claiming that we had not seen "the real" Bud Norris in 2013, and that he would be greatly improved in 2014. On the article, Norris explained the reasons why he would be an improved pitcher for the Orioles in 2014. He called it beforehand, and he carried it out.

Link to the February 2014 interview is in POST # 43:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/139048-Don-t-sleep-on-Bud-Norris!/page3

Whoever would replace Ubaldo at the level that he is able to pitch at would cost at least 5 million a year. So yeah, you could save seven. But right now, I don't see how you could trade him. And if you pay 20 of his remaining 28 you aren't saving a penny. You are losing because he had a year like Peavy.

Except that, per Baseball Reference, Jimenez is due another $38M from 2015-7.

I think he'll be fine, which doesn't matter.

I think that Dan and Buck think he'll be fine, which does.

I'm excited to see what he can do next year.

Me too.

2014 turned out to be a role reversal, of sorts.

Instead of the big-time/high-salaried free agent acquisition picking up the rest of the starting rotation, the rest of the starting rotation picked up the big-time/high-salaried free agent acquisition.

In between all of the clunkers that he had last season, Jimenez pitched enough gems and/or solid games to show that the stuff is there, it's just a matter of whether or not he will be able to bring it out more consistently.

The Orioles won 96 games last year when Jimenez was (mostly) off.

If he is on in 2015 (or at least on more often than he was in 2014), this team can be scary good.

We are a long ways away from OD. I don't see us going into ST with the 6 starters we currently have. This is the year Gausman needs to be in the rotation. It's sink or swim time. Norris is probably the one most likely to be traded. But the only move with Ubaldo would be a bad contract for bad contract swap. Fangraphs just put up an article on the Dodgers OF jam. http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-dodgers-and-still-too-many-outfielders/

If you're wanting to trade Ubaldo, and have reasonable expectations, here are your options. Ubaldo has 3/38.75 left on his deal. Crawford has 3/62.25 and Kemp has 5/107. Maybe Ubaldo for Crawford plus Van Slyke is an option. For 13.5 million extra, you're getting 3 years of Crawford in LF and 5 years of Van Slyke. I don't know how I feel about this trade. But when your trade chip is Ubaldo you're not going to feel good about any return. This could be an option if the O's lose one or both of Cruz and Markakis.

We are a long ways away from OD. I don't see us going into ST with the 6 starters we currently have. This is the year Gausman needs to be in the rotation. It's sink or swim time. Norris is probably the one most likely to be traded. But the only move with Ubaldo would be a bad contract for bad contract swap. Fangraphs just put up an article on the Dodgers OF jam. http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-dodgers-and-still-too-many-outfielders/

If you're wanting to trade Ubaldo, and have reasonable expectations, here are your options. Ubaldo has 3/38.75 left on his deal. Crawford has 3/62.25 and Kemp has 5/107. Maybe Ubaldo for Crawford plus Van Slyke is an option. For 13.5 million extra, you're getting 3 years of Crawford in LF and 5 years of Van Slyke. I don't know how I feel about this trade. But when your trade chip is Ubaldo you're not going to feel good about any return. This could be an option if the O's lose one or both of Cruz and Markakis.

You see the Orioles taking on that type of salary?

What about Jimenez? No one would like to see Ubaldo go elsewhere?

Tillman

Chen

Norris

Gonzalez

Gausman

Jimenez's contract is too expensive for a bullpen arm, than trade him and use that payroll for another bat. We have also planty of pitching prospects waiting for a call.

I bet we could get Arod for him but probably no one else.

I believe Ubaldo could out pitch Gonzalez next year.

Yeah the coaches reworked his delivery at the end of the season. With a more repeatable delivery he could be quite productive.

Unless Bundy suddenly becomes unhittable in spring training I think all six starters break camp with the team.

Archived