What if we sign Melky, & LaRoche and let Cruz, Davis, and Nick go?

mdbdotcom

Yes, but LaRoche might sign for less than Davis will get in arbitration. I have no idea what to expect from Davis next season. If he gets nabbed for amphetamines without a TUE (for the third time), he'll be gone for 80 days. If he stops using them altogether, he might not produce. I think Melky is worth more than Nick right now.

This argument is like nails on a chalk board to me. Did he produce in 2014? Not really. Did he get busted for adderall? Yup, sure did. What is the correlation? Adderall are not PEDs in the manner in which everyone is attributing it to. Long plane rides, long season, a sometimes very slow game...it's understandable that players want something to help them concentrate but it's not going to do much in regards to a broken bat homerun.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This argument is like nails on a chalk board to me. Did he produce in 2014? Not really. Did he get busted for adderall? Yup, sure did. What is the correlation? Adderall are not PEDs in the manner in which everyone is attributing it to. Long plane rides, long season, a sometimes very slow game...it's understandable that players want something to help them concentrate but it's not going to do much in regards to a broken bat homerun.

Davis said he started taking it again this year because the ball started to be a blur. That sounds like a performance issue to me. Amphetamines enhance performance. They really do.

Yes, but LaRoche might sign for less than Davis will get in arbitration. I have no idea what to expect from Davis next season. If he gets nabbed for amphetamines without a TUE (for the third time), he'll be gone for 80 days. If he stops using them altogether, he might not produce. I think Melky is worth more than Nick right now.

What if LaRoche loses his TUE?

Then, if he gets caught twice he'll be out for 25 games. Next time Chris gets caught he's out for 80. I really hadn't thought about this until the Patton thread, where I kept writing (in response to you), "It's just like Chris Davis."

I just have no sense of how much we can rely on Chris next year. He's a nice guy, and I wish him all the best, but I want the O's to win a championship next year and I'm afraid he may not contribute to that objective.

Then, if he gets caught twice he'll be out for 25 games. Next time Chris gets caught he's out for 80. I really hadn't thought about this until the Patton thread, where I kept writing (in response to you), "It's just like Chris Davis."

I just have no sense of how much we can rely on Chris next year. He's a nice guy, and I wish him all the best, but I want the O's to win a championship next year and I'm afraid he may not contribute to that objective.

Fair points. I don't want LaRoche.

Davis said he started taking it again this year because the ball started to be a blur. That sounds like a performance issue to me. Amphetamines enhance performance. They really do.
People keep citing this. Is there a link to where he stated this?

I'd take my chances with Davis, Cruz, and Kakes over Melky and LaRoche.

Me too. Something about keeping a team together that almost made it to the World Series and then gets over the hump the next year. Like the 1982 Orioles just missing on the last day of the season and then running the table in 1983. I would like to see the same group of warriors go to war next year again if at all possible.

Archived