Michael Saunders

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be interested if we didn't already have a couple of fringy OFs already in De Aza and Lough. Come to think of it, since Seattle and Saunders both feel an address change would be a good thing, we could swap Lough for Saunders? I do like the idea of taking hitters out of parks like Safeco and Petco and putting their LH bat in Camden Yards.

I'd be interested if we didn't already have a couple of fringy OFs already in De Aza and Lough. Come to think of it, since Seattle and Saunders both feel an address change would be a good thing, we could swap Lough for Saunders? I do like the idea of taking hitters out of parks like Safeco and Petco and putting their LH bat in Camden Yards.

I'd think Lough wouldn't have much value to the Mariners. I'd rather hold on to him and either move De Aza or non-tender him if we picked up Saunders.

Jerry Crasnick of ESPN reports that the Mariners are expected to shop Michael Saunders "hard" at next week's GM meetings.

Saunders is arbitration-eligible for the second time this winter and Crasnick writes that both sides appear ready to move on. The 27-year-old earned $2.3 million this season while batting .273/.341/.450 with eight home runs and 34 RBI over 78 games. His season could have looked a lot better if he didn't miss so much time due to injury. He should draw plenty of interest if the M's truly intend to shop him.

Source: Jerry Crasnick on Twitter

Nov 7 - 12:04 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/4461/michael-saunders

https://twitter.com/jcrasnick/status/530767393015230465

Speed?

D?

Arm?

The metrics like him in either corner but not at all in center. He can run a little bit, as he has some decent stolen base totals but it appears he should probably scale that back a bit as his percentage isn't good. He is a positive baserunner according to Fangraphs. I'd be interested as a Markakis replacement for sure.

The Mariners could use some offense from the right side. Maybe a Pearce for Saunders trade could work? It's hard to gauge Pearces trade value but Saunders is coming off an injury shortened year and Pearce is coming off a ridiculously good (by his standards) year and has one more year that is sure to be cheap. I'd rather Saunders over De Aza or Lough.

The Mariners could use some offense from the right side. Maybe a Pearce for Saunders trade could work? It's hard to gauge Pearces trade value but Saunders is coming off an injury shortened year and Pearce is coming off a ridiculously good (by his standards) year and has one more year that is sure to be cheap. I'd rather Saunders over De Aza or Lough.

Maybe if the Mariners throw in Iwakuma. Otherwise, no way do you trade Pearce for a a guy who'll only compete for the starting job.

I've had Saunders on an AL only fantasy team for a few years so I am familiar with him. Saunders always seems to run into something that slows his production whether it is injury, days off due to slump, Seattle trying a different player in the OF, etc. When he is on, he is pretty darn good - former top prospect for Seattle - just not in the disappointing crowd in Seattle like Smoak.

I don't think he can sustain a 790 OPS over a year in Seattle, but he is a better player than Markakis right now and our GM seems pretty shrewd at acquiring players on the right side of 28-30.

I think Saunders would be a quality acquisition for either corner OF spot, but I don't think there is an acceptable price to be paid by the Os (not worth Bundy/Harvey/Sisco, probably can't make a deal with the rest).

Maybe if the Mariners throw in Iwakuma. Otherwise, no way do you trade Pearce for a a guy who'll only compete for the starting job.

I was actually thinking the Mariners likely wouldn't do the deal. Saunders has plus defense, a little speed, two years left under control and Pearce is a bench player coming off a good year.

I was actually thinking the Mariners likely wouldn't do the deal. Saunders has plus defense, a little speed, two years left under control and Pearce is a bench player coming off a good year.

I'm not sure if they would either, because Pearce is an unknown quality. But from our perspective, it makes little sense to trade a guy low after he is coming off a great year, especially one where the metrics don't show any obvious outliers that you would expect a decline from.

Is Nick Markakis a sure thing? Saunders is a plus fielder in LF and RF. His OWar over the last 3 years is 3.6, 2.1, and 1.8 (in 78 games).

Markakis' OWar over the last 3 years is 2.5, 0.3, and 1.9. Markakis is 31 and going to make close to 10M for 3-4 years. Saunders can't be a FA for two years and is likely to make 4M this year. He should be a consideration if he's an alternative to Markakis. Saunders is also turning 28 this month. Seems like you can expect a low 700's OPS (same as Markakis these days) with the possibility of a breakout year (he had a .791 OPS this year).

Saunders got 250 abs last year.

Archived