Top 2008 Draft Prospects: Pedro Alvarez

Let's get right to it.

The debate has raged for years, as concerns the selection of amateur baseball players in the annual draft. College guys or High School youngsters? Pitchers or Hitters?

In the weeks and months leading up to this 2008 Draft, I'll be sharing more on the statistical overview of which are traditionally the better selections in the first round.

For now, let's take a look at the young men that Major League Teams are going to be keeping an awfully close eye on as the amateur season dawns.

Key: (X) is their age at the time of the 2008 Draft

1. Pedro Alvarez {College 3B} (21). The third-baseman, from the same college (Vanderbilt) as last year's overall #1 pick David Price, is the consensus #1 rated player after stellar Freshman and Sophomore campaigns. Alvarez is well put together at 6' 2 225 lbs., bats left, throws right and plays a decent third base. However, it's his bat that most feel have him at the head of the class.

Alvarez has comparables to Alex Gordon, with a .300+ BA and middle of the lineup production (25+ HR, 100+ RBI) very possible. He is the kind of player that if he develops as projected, could be a franchise player, whether at 3B or with a potential switch to 1B. He runs fairly well, although it's unlikely he'll be much of a stolen base threat.

Alvarez is an on-field leader, playing outstanding in stints for Team USA, and should become an easy top-5 choice this Draft, barring an unforeseen setback.

Greg's Grade (1-100) = 90

Next up> College LHSP Brian Matusz.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's get right to it.

The debate has raged for years, as concerns the selection of amateur baseball players in the annual draft. College guys or High School youngsters? Pitchers or Hitters?

In the weeks and months leading up to this 2008 Draft, I'll be sharing more on the statistical overview of which are traditionally the better selections in the first round.

For now, let's take a look at the young men that Major League Teams are going to be keeping an awfully close eye on as the amateur season dawns.

Key: Name (X) = X is their age at the time of the 2008 Draft

1. Pedro Alvarez (21). The third-baseman, from the same college (Vanderbilt) as last year's overall #1 pick David Price, is the consensus #1 rated player after stellar Freshman and Sophomore campaigns. Alvarez is well put together at 6' 2 225 lbs., bats left, throws right and plays a decent third base. However, it's his bat that most feel have him at the head of the class.

Alvarez has comparables to Alex Gordon, with a .300+ BA and middle of the lineup production (25+ HR, 100+ RBI) very possible. He is the kind of player that if he develops as projected, could be a franchise player, whether at 3B or with a potential switch to 1B. He runs fairly well, although it's unlikely he'll be much of a stolen base threat.

Alvarez is an on-field leader, playing outstanding in stints for Team USA, and should become an easy top-5 choice this Draft, barring an unforeseen setback.

Greg's Grade (1-100) = 90

Next up> High School SS Tim Beckham.

I feel that he's very complete, and has the least risk. Unfortunately, those guys always end up failing.

I feel that he's very complete, and has the least risk. Unfortunately, those guys always end up failing.

The best amateur guys always end up failing? I'm not with you there. While I agree that sometimes the top amateurs are busts, its still the smart call to go with the best talent.

Thanks. I look forward to the many hours of researching and grading these guys... errr maybe not so much the hours part of it. :D

Ehh...nobody really looks forward to hours. I would offer to help you if you need it, but then the issue of conflicting opinions might arise. Besides, I may or may not have the time or credentials to write up reports. College life takes a lot out of you. Let me know if you'd like help though.

Ehh...nobody really looks forward to hours. I would offer to help you if you need it, but then the issue of conflicting opinions might arise. Besides, I may or may not have the time or credentials to write up reports. College life takes a lot out of you. Let me know if you'd like help though.

Thanks for the offer.

What I'm trying to do is put the focus on the consensus scouting reports from some of the best online baseball scouting sites, and interjecting my take and grade as well.

I hate to break it to you, but that is about the easiest time you will have until you retire. Wait until you start chasing kids around everyday after work.

Greg, keep up the great work you do here.

Here's Alvarez' NCAA player page.

And to put it in context, here's the 2007 SEC individual statistics.

EDIT: Oh, and great job Greg. Rep to you!

And don't get me started on Matt Laporta, who lead the SEC in several categories. The 'experts' had him 20th or lower and the Brewers shocked them by picking him 7th overall. He's gonna pull a 'Ron Kittle' for them next year.

Here's Alvarez' NCAA player page.

And to put it in context, here's the 2007 SEC individual statistics.

EDIT: Oh, and great job Greg. Rep to you!

And don't get me started on Matt Laporta, who lead the SEC in several categories. The 'experts' had him 20th or lower and the Brewers shocked them by picking him 7th overall. He's gonna pull a 'Ron Kittle' for them next year.

Thanks a lot.

I hate to break it to you, but that is about the easiest time you will have until you retire. Wait until you start chasing kids around everyday after work.

Greg, keep up the great work you do here.

ha..I'm well aware. I'm just taking a heavy course load so I can meet my degree requirements. I need to complete my poly sci major, all my gen-ed's, and have a total of 96 credits by the end of my junior year. After that, the second part of my degree will kick in, and I'll be admitted to law school a year early. That mixed with a 30 min commute to and from school, working , and a girlfriend sometimes leaves me short on time.

I agree though, at this point it time, school sounds a lot better than chasing kids around after work. I have nothing but respect for people who manage to do that and remain semi-sane.

Archived