Gausman MUST be in the starting rotation

steva84

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Both Norris and Gonzo had options last year. I'm guessing not anymore. We'll have less flexibility this year with the same rotation and not optioning Gausman. Some of that will depend on our BP and roster construction. If Gausman pitches great, optioning him "may" not be an issue. If he's mediocre, optioning will be in play again. DD uses options/roster manipulation as a way to gain leverage. Guasman will be optioned if DD thinks it will help us win more ball games.

We have a sticky thread for this type of question. Gonzalez still has an option left for next year. Norris now has five years of MLB service time, so to option him we would need his permission.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/137234-2014-Orioles-40-man-Roster-Tracker

I think Ubaldo will have a bounce back year. I feel bad for Gonzalez. He has pitched well enough to be a regular in anyones starting rotation. If he was a FA he'd probably get a 3 or 4 year deal worth 30+ million.

If he were a free agent he would get a five million dollar one year deal with a club option of six million.

Both Norris and Gonzo had options last year. I'm guessing not anymore. We'll have less flexibility this year with the same rotation and not optioning Gausman. Some of that will depend on our BP and roster construction. If Gausman pitches great, optioning him "may" not be an issue. If he's mediocre, optioning will be in play again. DD uses options/roster manipulation as a way to gain leverage. Gausman will be optioned if DD thinks it will help us win more ball games.
Gonzalez still has an option left for next year. Norris now has five years of MLB service time, so to option him we would need his permission.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/137234-2014-Orioles-40-man-Roster-Tracker

Likewise so will Gonzalez, whereas we don't have that type of breathing room with Norris. If we don't find our way back he could easily be shipped off to a contender. In any case, I think it's a break out year for KG.

I don't expect all six starters to be healthy all season. Its too much to ask.

Ditto. Keep them all, you can never have too much starting pitching. As for the post, Gausman, should only make the rotation if he earns it. One way to make a team better is internal competition. Salaries be damned. The best five should make the rotation.

Ditto. Keep them all, you can never have too much starting pitching. As for the post, Gausman, should only make the rotation if he earns it. One way to make a team better is internal competition. Salaries be damned. The best five should make the rotation.

Earned it?

How can one earn a starting rotation spot in spring training? If you start at home then you face scrubs, if you play on the road you got scrubs playing behind you. You are working on building up arm strength and experimenting with new grips.

You can earn your way onto to the 25 man roster that is going North, not sure how you can earn a spot in the rotation when facing five other deserving candidates.

Eh, you didn't think he earned his shot by the way he performed in the PS? He should have been in the rotation then and I saw no evidence that showed anyone else "earned" a spot compared to what he did. Since you mention it, though, Gausman will be making the least among potential rotation candidates come 2015.

Earned it?

How can one earn a starting rotation spot in spring training? If you start at home then you face scrubs, if you play on the road you got scrubs playing behind you. You are working on building up arm strength and experimenting with new grips.

You can earn your way onto to the 25 man roster that is going North, not sure how you can earn a spot in the rotation when facing five other deserving candidates.

A starting pitcher can't earn a spot in Spring Training.

I guess he could lose one though.

Lets see you have a guy who averages 6.1 IP/GS and has a 61 QS% and a lower WHIP and ERA, and you want to put him in the pen and start a guy who averages 5.1 IP/GS and has a 45 QS% because he strikes out .71 more guys per 9? Oh yeah the second guy is younger and was a top draft pick and if he ever learns how to throw a SL he'll be a TOR, and the first guy was some nobody we picked up from the Mexican Leagues, he can't really be any good. Wouldn't the guy with fewer IP/GS and only two pitches, but the better FB, be the better bet for the pen, at least temporarily?

I'd like to see Kevin Gausman in the rotation, without having him to serve between Baltimore and Norfolk. We have a potential ACE. Let Kevin start regularly.
Just writing to let everyone know that I agree with you 100%. Kevin showed his mettle during high pressure situations.

Archived