Gausman MUST be in the starting rotation

steva84

Yeah, barring a trade I see Gonzo as the odd man out. I think he could do well in a bullpen role though.
Why relegate Gonzo to the bullpen? Because he is the least expensive and basically came from baseball's scrap heap? That's not a good reason to put someone with a complete game shutout and other stellar late-season numbers in the bullpen.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why relegate Gonzo to the bullpen? Because he is the least expensive and basically came from baseball's scrap heap? That's not a good reason to put someone with a complete game shutout and other stellar late-season numbers in the bullpen.

Actually... if we want to get to reality.. Gausman is the cheap man of the rotation. Gonzo will be paid more then Gausman. Not by much but will be. I always like Gausman coming out as a long reliever until 2016 as he has yet to throw over 150 innings in minor, major or combo over the both ( he was a few inning short this year, 2014). I want him to get his innings up in the majors before releasing the hounds. He's still finding his pitches as well. As the "6th" man he's still get 15 to 20 starts. But it's always nice to have his arm for short starts.

If room has to be made for Ubaldo in the rotation and they're not trading Norris, Chen, Tillman or Gonzalez I like Gausman in the bullpen. We all saw what K.C.'s murderer's row of Herrera, Davis and the closer (can't remember his name) did in the playoffs. I think the Orioles could build something comparable with Britton, Gausman and Miller. I see Gausman as a starter and possibly an ace ultimately but on this team right now I think he can have more of an impact setting-up in the 'pen.

Worrying about the "odd man out" at this point is silly. Very few teams make it out of spring training or well into the season without a starting pitcher injury. Any "concern" because we have 6 candidates for 5 jobs at this point is silly.

Definitely agree. Unless you are blown away, hold on to all 6 until March. Grab a AAAA guy for Norfolk. Then if someone wants to overpay in March, entertain the idea then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gausman to the minors. If Ubaldo falls apart, Gausman slots in.

Gausman doesn't go deep into games and his slider is terrible. No reason to start him unless someone is hurt or if Ubaldo stinks. The other starters are better at this point.

This is pretty much where I'm at. Gausman has a good FB, and good FB/CH differential, but other than that I don't see much else to like. His breaking stuff needs work, and he loses command from time to time. I think he has upside but has quite a ways to go.

This is pretty much where I'm at. Gausman has a good FB, and good FB/CH differential, but other than that I don't see much else to like. His breaking stuff needs work, and he loses command from time to time. I think he has upside but has quite a ways to go.

I feel at this point he's better off honing his skills at the big league level. He posted a 3.57 ERA, that's too solid to want to park him in the minors. Yes, he still has work to do, but he's already come a long way between 2013 and 2014 and I see no reason why that development can't continue under Wallace and Chiti.

I think all this who is in and who is out of the rotation discussion is ultimately a futile exercise as I really doubt all six guys in question are on this team come opening day.

I tend to think one of these guys will be moved and the O's will sign a veteran or two for depth at the minor league level.

Right now I think DD is doing his due diligence, finding out how guys are valued and waiting to see how the Markakis/Cruz situation plays out as that would potentially impact what he would like to see in a return.

I feel at this point he's better off honing his skills at the big league level. He posted a 3.57 ERA, that's too solid to want to park him in the minors. Yes, he still has work to do, but he's already come a long way between 2013 and 2014 and I see no reason why that development can't continue under Wallace and Chiti.

Exactly right. And his slider isn't terrible. He was getting swings and misses with it last year and weak contact as the year went on. Does he need to improve that pitch sure, but his stuff is too good to be wasted at AAA.

Archived