Will Michael Cuddyer Be the First?

weams

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Cuddyer had signed this contract in February there is little doubt that columnists would have chided him for turning down the Qualifying Offer.

The problem isn't that it's not a story. It's that the bigger story here is the Met's being so eager to throw away a 1st round pick on a guy that should be warming someone's bench.

I'm still blown away by this.

The problem isn't that it's not a story. It's that the bigger story here is the Met's being so eager to throw away a 1st round pick on a guy that should be warming someone's bench.

The Giants used to sign compensation players so they wouldn't have to spend money on first round picks in the draft.

Why should Cuddyer be warming someone's bench? I agree I would not have been eager to give up a mid-1st round pick for two years of Cuddyer, but he has hit well for Colorado (even considering his favorable home park) and he is still good enough to start.

Well, Michael, I will admit you were right; nobody accepted a QO. I still wonder if Nick would have accepted one.

In spite of everyone turning down the QO I think this is a fair question. Unlike Cuddyer, Nick accepting wouldn't have forced him to spend one of his few remaining years in a pretty hopeless situation. If Cuddyer had received the offer from a team that people reasonably thought could contend I think he would ve taken it. Nick plays for a team that is contending and from all Ive read seems to like it here. I understand the urge for people to look at this and assume DD made a mistake- and maybe he did. But I don't think its a sure thing. Of course I thought a few of these guys were going to accept.

Why should Cuddyer be warming someone's bench? I agree I would not have been eager to give up a mid-1st round pick for two years of Cuddyer, but he has hit well for Colorado (even considering his favorable home park) and he is still good enough to start.

He had a .500 higher OPS at home than away last season. Granted it was only like 50 games, but even the year before he had .150 higher OPS at home. Take him away from Coors and he won't be the same player.

In spite of everyone turning down the QO I think this is a fair question. Unlike Cuddyer, Nick accepting wouldn't have forced him to spend one of his few remaining years in a pretty hopeless situation. If Cuddyer had received the offer from a team that people reasonably thought could contend I think he would ve taken it. Nick plays for a team that is contending and from all Ive read seems to like it here. I understand the urge for people to look at this and assume DD made a mistake- and maybe he did. But I don't think its a sure thing. Of course I thought a few of these guys were going to accept.

I am one of the few Apostles of the "No One Ever" Religion.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source: Liriano declines <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Pirates?src=hash">#Pirates</a>? qualifying offer.</p>? Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="
">November 10, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

No one. Ever.

You may be right. I'm really shocked the Mets threw their money away like this.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Can confirm <a href="https://twitter.com/JackCurryYES">@JackCurryYES</a> Robertson turns down <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Yankees?src=hash">#Yankees</a> qualifying offer</p>? Joel Sherman (@Joelsherman1) <a href="
">November 10, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

What a dumb move.

Yankees probably extend him anyhow.

If Cuddyer had signed this contract in February there is little doubt that columnists would have chided him for turning down the Qualifying Offer.

In February, Cuddyer likely would have gotten less. Unlike Cruz, Drew, Morales, Cuddyer actually signed a deal that has more guaranteed dollars than the QO. Yes, it is a two year deal for 21, but still 21 is more than 15. And none of the others got anywhere close to what their QO was. Early deals are looking better and better for free agents with QOs. If you get one from a team in November, you had better daggone jump on it.

Archived