Right-Handed Power in the Outfield

weams

Is the value through the roof?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>?He?s going to be 36, has averaged 380 PA per year for three years, glove sliding?? "But he?s a right-handed power hitter in the outfield!"</p>— Eno Sarris (@enosarris) <a href="

">November 10, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Will Cruz GET 70?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>?He?s going to be 36, has averaged 380 PA per year for three years, glove sliding?? "But he?s a right-handed power hitter in the outfield!"</p>— Eno Sarris (@enosarris) <a href="

Will Cruz GET 70?

Loved having Cruz on this team. Last year he was a bargain @ 8 million and highly motivated to perform so he would be in the position he is in now.

He is going to be far from a bargain moving forward, at best he will cost you market value IMO and worst you will be overpaying for a guy who is 36 with sever defensive limitations and somewhat sketchy past when you take injuries, suspensions etc in to account as a whole.

I can see committing to that for maybe 2 years where you limit your exposure and hope he can produce at a level that approximates what he did last year. Beyond that though your asking for trouble and frankly dead money (big money one a guy who is not productive to that level). That is a situation a team like the O's need to avoid.

If we can get a deal with Nellie that suits us then great. If not then you have to let him walk.

Will Cruz GET 70?

BTW to answer your question...Yes I think some team might be inclined to give him say 4yrs and 70-75 million.

I do too.
What team? Not a NL team because he isn't a fulltime OF. SEA? They may have other fish to fry, like Martinez, or HanRam. To give Cruz 70M, the team would have to believe he is that one piece that puts them over the top. What team is that? DET? TEX? CLE?

I like Cruz.

I'd like to have him back for 3/40 tops.

If he signs elsewhere for big money, so be it. I have a feeling we won't see his 2014 numbers ever again, and in fact, his second half numbers are probably more likely what anyone will get from him.

I like Cruz.

I'd like to have him back for 3/40 tops.

If he signs elsewhere for big money, so be it. I have a feeling we won't see his 2014 numbers ever again, and in fact, his second half numbers are probably more likely what anyone will get from him.

Significant 2nd half drop-offs are a big warning sign to me. When you have as hot a start as Cruz did it takes a very poor performance to really put a dent in it.

Cruz in the 2nd half - .249/.306/.463, they're not terrible numbers but you wouldn't rush out and pay 4/70M for a 35 year old with a 770 ops.

Significant 2nd half drop-offs are a big warning sign to me. When you have as hot a start as Cruz did it takes a very poor performance to really put a dent in it.

Cruz in the 2nd half - .249/.306/.463, they're not terrible numbers but you wouldn't rush out and pay 4/70M for a 35 year old with a 770 ops.

But how do you explain his numbers in Sept. and the playoffs? Back on PED's?

I bet you wanna sign Nick to a 4 year deal too.

But how do you explain his numbers in Sept. and the playoffs? Back on PED's?

No I don't think you need to drag anything like that into it. Baseball is a grind but you can still have good games mixed in with struggles. He basically underperformed all through June,July and August - 646/671/725, but seemed to get going in that last month. It's also difficult to know what goes into the performance for the playoffs, some players seem to be better in October consistently.

It's also worth noting that it's not like a 770 ops is bad - not great for a DH,but definitely above league average.

Archived