Dan Duquette wins Sporting News GM of the Year

Diehard_O's_Fan

Well deserved. Dan had a brilliant year.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Dan Duquette is the first Oriole to receive Baseball American Executive of Year award, which has been given since 1998.</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">December 2, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Even KLaw is on board. From his chat today:

Adam Trask (Salinas)

You were critical when Baltimore hired Dan Duquette but he has done very well. Where were you wrong or what did he do to improve?

Klaw

(1:36 PM)

I talked to NPR about this, but he's really changed his whole approach to player evaluation and acquisition - and I think they've drafted better and developed better in Baltimore than they did in Boston. His Red Sox teams had stars and some hidden-value finds, but he often overexposed the latter guys, and his teams were thin in the middle. These Orioles are nothing like that.

Dan (Miami)

The O's lost their leadoff man, cleanup hitter and will lose their best bullpen arm....yet their decision to pass in each case was correct. As a fan, how should I think about about this clear step back for 2015 when they were in the ALCS in 2014?

Klaw

(1:55 PM)

Smart. They played it all shrewdly, and maintain financial flexibility to go do something else, if not right away then later this winter (like the Ubaldo/Cruz deals, on which they went, well, one for two at least) or next offseason.

Archived