Neil Walker?

Dark Helmet

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pirates will want a guy to replace Liriano. They werd interested in Bud Norris before. Walker will be a FA soon. Walker will give you 20 HR and a .340+ OBP.

Would Norris and Schoop get him? He's only 28 and a SH. Try and lock him up for 4/48m or about.

One site has him a FA in 2016 and another 2017. If its 2017 obviously it will take more then Norris and Schoop. But id still be calling the Pirates.

They didn't have anyone that was an improvement.

My point is they clearly were high enough on Schoop to keep him out there. They could have benched him or sent him back to Norfolk, or acquired somebody else. They didn't do that, and it's clearly because one or both of them is high enough on him to think he can stick as an everyday guy.

Here's what I have to say about walker having watched so much of him.

He's a good hitter with a solid approach at the plate. His power is quite streaky and not as durable as you would like. He is a very solid defender having been taught how to play the position by perhaps the best ever to defensively man the position in Bill Mazeroski. He's also defensively intelligent. He came up as a catcher, moved to third and eventually was put at second when Pedro Alvarez was drafted. Has never quite put it all together in a given season; if he did he would probably be the best second baseman in the game given his skills.

Would love to have him on the team. That said, the difference between him and Schoop is not Norris. That is too much to pay.

Schoop was a rookie, he will grow as a player, and while he is doing it he is cheap and cost controlled.

Here's what I have to say about walker having watched so much of him.

He's a good hitter with a solid approach at the plate. His power is quite streaky and not as durable as you would like. He is a very solid defender having been taught how to play the position by perhaps the best ever to defensively man the position in Bill Mazeroski. He's also defensively intelligent. He came up as a catcher, moved to third and eventually was put at second when Pedro Alvarez was drafted. Has never quite put it all together in a given season; if he did he would probably be the best second baseman in the game given his skills.

Would love to have him on the team. That said, the difference between him and Schoop is not Norris. That is too much to pay.

Schoop was a rookie, he will grow as a player, and while he is doing it he is cheap and cost controlled.

All this...and a bag of chips. If we didn't have a cheap, young second baseman, I'd be all for Walker.

If Schoop still has an OBP under .250 after his third full season, then let's re-open this topic.

But then you would get nothing in return for him.

Sometimes if you want to get better, you have to trade good players. I am not saying move lets move Schoop for Walker but lets be real here...with our guys we do not need a power hitting 2B.. we need a guy that can play good defense and GET ON BASE not strikeout a ton or hit HRs.

IMO he could be more a trade chip in 2016 when we lose our starting C and 1B to free agency.

Archived